oil stick broke off in.engine. wtf

Sammo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I install the oil cool/filter kit give it a test run notice a.leak and check the oil and.sure enough I bring it up and it snaped off. Im really pissed. Can I just drain it out and hope it comes out

I recall a pic of an opened starter gear cover (beneath the sprocket), and the pic showed the end of the dipstick. Maybe you could extract it from there?

Attachments

• dipstick.jpg
    dipstick.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 180
So I took a gander down the oil.port and low and.behold I can see the.snaped.off piece. Hope I can fish it out with magnet. If the dipstick is compatible with my 1980xs650g then im a go.

Very easy to insert the dipstick in a "not quite the right" place. If you tighten it in that right place, broken easily results. The test is it should look/feel right and thread easily.

I noticed my dipstick wasn't giving any reading. Found out the last two inches were not there. If I want to add a 2" metal attachment to my 8" dipstick, would putting some JB weld on the attachment hold it safely? I know they cost $20ish brand new, but I like trying to McGuiver stuff.

NO! there are threads showing correct lengths. You could make a new wand epoxy into your redrilled cap. a dogbunny thermometer would a nice addition.

Back