Oil sump filter

Scott73

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Lookin through tech page stuff and ran across (sump) pics of them modified. Copper caps and jb weld. My question is the why. Can’t find reason any where. Does it crush under pressure of the bolts? Any help would be appreciated cause I just bought one and don’t want to mess it up

No idea why. The originals seems to fail but the new replacements are pretty stout and the bolts are sholdered so no matter how tight you do up the bolts the shoulder stops them from crushing. I replaced mine with an xs650direct one when I bought the bike but the one in it was perfect.

No idea why. The originals seems to fail but the new replacements are pretty stout and the bolts are sholdered so no matter how tight you do up the bolts the shoulder stops them from crushing. I replaced mine with an xs650direct one when I bought the bike but the one in it was perfect.
Thanks. Gonna go ahead and put this thing in there

One theory is inadequate warm-up before high rpm; so viscous oil and high suction collapses (rips) the screen

new replacements are pretty stout and the bolts are sholdered so no matter how tight you do up the bolts the shoulder stops them from crushing.
Although I think that's a great idea, I didn't think the holes in the filter were large enough for shouldered bolts. Can you give us some info on the length of the shoulder... where you got the filter... pics?

They're not an actual shoulder bolt, just a normal bolt that's not fully threaded. The bolts are M6 x 45mm long. 19mm is threaded, 26mm is not.

Last edited:
Due to roller big ends, lubrication depends on volume rather than pressure, oil pressure is around 10-15psi when cold and only around 5psi warm, so excess pressure wouldn't be the problem. The filtering material is concertinad screening around most of the filtering area From memory, I think the section nearest the gearbox internals has straight screening, so,, as it isn't afforded the extra strength of concertinad screening, perhaps the gears flinging oil around is the problem, but I doubt that very much. My guess would be the higher viscosity of cold oil, coupled with the slightly higher presure when cold.
Interestingly not all owners report problems with sump filters tearing???

Attachments

• filterguard fitted.jpg
    filterguard fitted.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 58
  • filterguard outer.jpg
    filterguard outer.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 56
Due to roller big ends, lubrication depends on volume rather than pressure, oil pressure is around 10-15psi when cold and only around 5psi warm, so excess pressure wouldn't be the problem. The filtering material is concertinad screening around most of the filtering area From memory, I think the section nearest the gearbox internals has straight screening, so,, as it isn't afforded the extra strength of concertinad screening, perhaps the gears flinging oil around is the problem, but I doubt that very much. My guess would be the higher viscosity of cold oil, coupled with the slightly higher presure when cold.
Interestingly not all owners report problems with sump filters tearing???
Is there any manufacturer that makes that corner part or is it made by you. I have the one from mikesxs do I need to make that or is that an old manufactured problem.

Back