Oil Sump strainer

erice1984

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I am confused with this whole sump strainer filter.

Why does anyone use it if you can use the setup Mike's XS oil heat sink/Heiden Oil Filter/Cooler Kit/Honda filter setup?

If the Honda uses pressure side filtering and uses that filter its good enough for the 650, right?

If that is the case why not just remove the sump strainer filter and not worry about it?

I just want to know, leaves more room for oil.

Thanks
-Eric

The sump filter filters the oil on it's way to the pump so I think it's best you keep it. The side filter is a secondary one filtering after the pump. If I was going to eliminate one, that would be my choice, but I don't recommend eliminating either. They're both crude at best, catching mostly just the big chunks. That's why we change the oil frequently.

yep, I have to agree with 5twins, most engine problems begin with dirty oil and bad filteration, I just replaced my sump filter,I found a hole in it:thumbsup:

Why not remove the sump strainer altogether? Because anything that can get through this might also get into your oil pump.

Oil%2BFilter%2B001.jpg

To prevent the above you need a Sump Screen Shield:

Sump%2BFilter%2BShield.jpg

The sump filter cleans before the oil goes into the oil pump. The other filter cleans the oil after it comes out of the oil pump.

If you pull the oil pan off your car you'll notice it too, has a sump screen on the bottom of the oil pick-up that leads to the oil pump. Understand now?

I recommend better filtration like in the photo below and a Sump Screen Shield.

Ready.jpg

Is everyone still having trouble with the build quality/inconstancies of the new style offered on Mike XS and 650 Central? I need to replace mine, but I'm unsure what to do.

Quite a few riders report the sump strainers rip out in the first season. Personally, I've been using mine for the last 4 years with no problems whatsoever:shrug:

You could just do the repair that many have done successfully, and save money.

Quite a few riders report the sump strainers rip out in the first season. Personally, I've been using mine for the last 4 years with no problems whatsoever:shrug:

You could just do the repair that many have done successfully, and save money.

Considering the short number of days fit for riding in Alberta I can easily see how you could go 4 or more years without a problem. In climates more favorable towards more riding the odds of replacing sump screens in a single season or less become far greater.

ReycleBill;

Thank you for reminding me of our 6 month long winters :yikes: It does cut down the biking season considerably. I think I'm getting cabin fever:eek:

Attachments

• Ah, winter in Canada.jpg
    Ah, winter in Canada.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 278
ReycleBill;

Thank you for reminding me of our 6 month long winters :yikes: It does cut down the biking season considerably. I think I'm getting cabin fever:eek:

Dude, I'm sorry, :banghead: I should be more considerate. I rode all winter here only to blow a head gasket 3 weeks ago. I would of had it back together but I got a hernia at the day job and can't lift anything for fear that my left nut might be forever lost. I guess I'm just really cranky.

But hey, I quit my job yesterday and I'm never going back again. My side work doesn't pay a lot but the house and cars are all paid off and I finished up with child support 18 years ago so FTW! :bike:

ReycleBill;
Get well buddy and good luck on finding another job!

Job? Dude, I'm retiring-- not with as much money as I'd hoped to retire on but retiring just the same. I plan to ride the wheels off of about 5 motorcycles, put the wheels back on and ride them off again as many times as I can. Job is a 4 letter word I don't want to use anymore.

Back