Replacement Filter for Heiden Tuning oil filter kit?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have this kit and was recently reading an article from Hughs handbill site that they make a
similar kit (oil filter cooler) but use the stock filter screen because they saw a reduction in oil flow using the
Honda paper filter that comes with the Heiden kit especially if u use the thick 20w50 oil.
I was wondering if its possible to use the stock oil filter screen with the Heiden kit or is there another
oil filter screen that would fit without going to paper. I have not noticed any sign of paper caving in
from pressure on the Honda unit and actually change it every other oil change or 6000 kilometres.
I figure if changing the oil every 3000 kilometres the filter cant be that dirty and should be still good, at least it
looks good visually. Whats your thoughts on this. Thx

Great read TwoMany!. I wasn't aware that there is a release valve at the side filter if its plugged
or on really cold mornings with thick oil. Is this part of the original stock filter assembly which I dont
have.My bike was purchased with the Heiden unit and Honda paper oil filter in place.
Were exactly is this release valve I just read about?

No Bypass in filter or replacement filters from Mikes. Maybe I should get a pressure gage.
Any recommendations, is there one like on Harleys on the oil dipstick that u would suggest?

Thx TM. I just pulled my Honda filter (Heiden tuning oil filter) and after 3000 kilometres (2000miles)
with 20/50 it looks incredibly clean, no dirt between pleats.The colour is now brown not yellow like new
and it looks a little squeezed, i think that could be from me no taking long enough to warm up before giving
it heavy throttle.

I had it on my 77. Dont have it on my 83. Not sure if I really bought the added cooling fins which stuck out another inch from the right case. Filter was sometimes a pain to removed from it. I like the screen. If it aint broke, dont fix it kinda thing!

I did a bit of a dissection on these add on oil filters, claimed to be oil filter/coolers and, (claimed), just straight coolers by some. Personally i think MikesXS's filter/cooler does have the capability to do some cooling......to what degree is the real question, but with his set up at least the oil is forced to the area that is within the cooling fin range of the add on filter/cooler.
Post # here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter-coolers.51898/#post-546542

Here is a good comprehensive thread on the filters on the XS650 in general. worth a read.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter.72/

Back