OK super sleuthes tell me what I'll find.

Boy Gary, you have all the toys, lol. I still don't know how you come across all these forlorn 650s. My area is pretty well picked over it seems. Many that do appear are way, way over-priced (thank you sawzall crowd). At the moment, there's a dirty set of carbs for $75 and a fork assembly for $125. I don't see that stuff flying off the shelf any time soon, lol.

C'mon over 5t bring a trailer!

clock shows 11K too bad it got wet!

Guess a fancy oil filter don't help much against rainwater ehh?

That sure looks like a "puffball" mushroom to me. Many like to slice them up and fry in butter. I did not like the one I tried that way.

The $40 motor I scored last winter is trashed like that. Too bad because it was supposedly a very low mile unit (supposedly 4K or so). Cylinders, pistons, and head are all junk now. I'm hoping some good stuff is left in the bottom end but I still can't get the cylinders off, lol. It may be cuttin' time, lol. One thing I have spied, and which kinda supports the low mile claim, is the #4 starter gear - it looks like new with no grinding wear on the teeth. An almost new original #4 starter gear is almost worth the $40 in my eyes.

Fred; You gotta guess! Here's your chance to show up finger boy.

Hi Gary,
if it's not an insect pupa perhaps it's a peanut on the half-shell?
Hopefully you will let the list know what you find when you open it up.
And there's no need for anyone to show up finger boy; he does such a great job of it himself.

where did you find the camera that worked with your phone? i can't tell you how many times that would have come in handy

here's one some guys use on their snowmobiles. I have been debating buying.
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Androi...-us-in-r5-40&utm_content=vivian&utm_design=14

Go to the second page of this thread of some images gotten with it. Not sure if you will have to join to see the pics.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/438-xcr/1418202-smart-phone-bore-scope.html

pulled a valve cover, the cam lobes are good too. I'll probably have my engine guy do the head work. Straight up I have my doubts that engine work is a paying proposition. This bike came with a spare engine that turns free. The bloom is off the XS650 "craze" in my area anyways.

cool x wisconsin guy. Like 5twins sez the pickin's are easy around here. I didn't underpay LOL for this bike, but there WERE a lot of extras. complete "heard it run" second bike. many new aftermarket parts AND an extra engine. It's going to come out fine.

red flag in front of a bull!
3 XS650 right now, a stone stock 79 the resto mod and a "decent" stock 73, An 82 runner just went to my painter. another 10 or 12 in the wings, need to get the 70 back on the lift, I REALLY want to ride it to the spring slimy crud.

LH view tx.jpg

79xsfall.jpg

79 stocker done.jpg

and the beemer road barge just back from 2500 miles, it's for sale, too big. I sold the Connie 14 over the weekend. It was nice but too fast, but now I feel a bit more $ecure for winter. Kinda running an XS650, my way, long distance bike around in my head.

- - - Can't you be constructive here?

Hi solo,
Gary's the constructive one in this string, his posts say that as he has another motor that turns freely he doubts that the motor in the photos is worth the effort it would take to fix it.
OTOH you and I are trading insults and bickering about grammar and while that might keep us and perhaps others amused it ain't constructive at all.

I'm going to guess a totally messed up kick assembly install, with the drag clip and return spring not located properly. No doubt the kick assembly pulled out with the cover removal and it was all down hill from there, lol.

As for the charging problems, I'm guessing the chain got a hold of the alternator wires and did some chewing.

I thought (OK was hoping) the same thing, a messed up kick starter but it turned out that cover hadn't been off. Real close on the second part 5T, They had to remove the shift shaft cover to get the alternator wiring harness in place. Part of why this will work out for me a brand new never spun 3 phase sparx and voltage regulator were on the bike.

If you actually use the date stamp to keep track of things you might want to change it?
The date on the cam chain guide is 2011?

Yeah it's the camera, mis-set the date I'll get that fixed up for you WER. Nikon camera does a much better job of close ups, it'll shoot native 1024x768 with great detail, saves an editing step for web uploads. Swappinig cranks to a better one, and will try to get a couple of cranks to an in state crank wiz to be trued and welded this week.

There all fixed up, I HAD set the date previously but missed the save function....

The crank going in. I think these small ends look like they've been a bit hot also. I may look into drilling an oil ring groove to lube the small end hole.
I will also size that LH oil jet hole and drill the RH side to match.

engine 007.JPG

Bonus for anyone can help me make a quick down and dirty crankcase splitter. This actually worked fine but I have a lot of cases to split so want to do something a bit spiffier (with little work LOL)

engine 004.JPG engine 005.JPG

Back