OLd BoNeS NeW BLoOD

gkxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been following this forum for a few years now. Always enjoy watching peoples builds come together. In that time I've built an XS of my own, though never posted on this site.

Now I'm up to build number two and i thought I'd document the entire build (however long that may be).

Before I start.. Here's a photo of the XS I just finished about a month back. Absolutely love this bike.

IMG_1876_zps65615fba.jpg

IMG_1873_zpsec52d55a.jpg

Project number 2 is going to be a "Brat Style" bike. Its going to be made up of a collection of parts i've accumulated over the last 5 years.

Starting with a very rusty 78 frame and a XS-1 motor, which is missing quite a few parts. Will post pictures of these, when i get the chance.

Here we go.........

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Welcome to the site. I really like your build and the flat seat bobber look. Like the paint on the tank the seat and the rest of the bike. Super looking. Looking forward to see your brat build. :cheers:

So here's the bike frame as i got it. Apparently its been lying outside for a couple of years. There's mud and dirt in every hole and crack.

Stripped the bike this afternoon, there's a lot more rust than i first thought.

Time to start chopping and grinding.

bike1_zpsddad95d7.jpg

frame1_zps348648cb.jpg

frame2_zpsa929e25c.jpg

frame3_zpsf318ee54.jpg

Attachments

• bike 1.JPG
    bike 1.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 185
  • frame 1.jpg
    frame 1.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 197
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 178
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Love the picture of the XS you finished a month ago.

I have questions: -

Where are the front and rear fenders from?

Which bike is the Brembo brake caliper from on the front?

Cheers!!!

Love the picture of the XS you finished a month ago.

I have questions: -

Where are the front and rear fenders from?

Which bike is the Brembo brake caliper from on the front?

Cheers!!!
I got the front fender from a japanese website years ago. Can't remember which one. The rear fender I got from BratStyle in japan when i visited. You can get them on their website.

And i got the Brembo brake calliper from pandemonium custom choppers when i purchased the adaptor kit

Last edited:
Before:

frame4_zps688e0667.jpg

After a mornings worth or chopping and grinding.

Got another days worth of grinding / smoothing all the tabs before I get the frame sandblasted.

fRAME5_zpsce45162e.jpg

FRAME6_zpsf912117b.jpg

Attachments

• frame 4.jpg
    frame 4.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 181
  • fRAME 5.jpg
    fRAME 5.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 213
  • FRAME 6.jpg
    FRAME 6.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Frame is in pretty ordinary condition. You can see in this photo i've removed all the tabs from the bottom left hand side of the frame (photo right) and given it a light once over with a sanding disc. Lots of little depressions caused by the rust, but again, I think after sand blasting and some more time with the sanding disc, it should all smooth out and look like new..... And still be structurally sound (i hope)

rustyframe_zps0c2e1d83.jpg

Attachments

• rusty frame.jpg
    rusty frame.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I know you can click on the image to enlarge, but i'd still like to be able to have the image enlarged within the post, like i see in other posts... What am i doing wrong here?

Hey Gkxs, I like your first build and I look forwar to seeing the brat build come to shape.

Lester

Back