Old style drum front wheel

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son-in-law is building a 650 bobber and wants the drum front end look on it. We are not having any luck coming up with a front end for it. I am not a bike smart person but was wondering why do you have to change the front end. Can a person just locate a wire rim the correct tire size and just machine spacers to center the wheel? Is it that hard to find one with the correct axel diameter? Just a thought any other Ideas? Thanks JohnB

Yes, you could machine correct bushings and all that... the sticking point is the little nub cast into the fork slider to hold the brake plate captive. Only the '70 and '71 forks had that cast into 'em. Having said that, there's ways around it. It just involves designing a brake stay to tie the plate to your existing fork. It ain't easy, but it's been done.

Yes, you could machine correct bushings and all that... the sticking point is the little nub cast into the fork slider to hold the brake plate captive. Only the '70 and '71 forks had that cast into 'em. Having said that, there's ways around it. It just involves designing a brake stay to tie the plate to your existing fork. It ain't easy, but it's been done.
Ok Thanks for the info I never thought of that. I know how much fun making things can be I had to make a bracket to hold a generic rear master cylinder for a 1981 GL1100 Honda Goldwing. Got it done but what a pain in the rear.

Was someone a few months... maybe 6 mo ago put up a pic of his elegant solution. Don't remember the particulars, just that I was impressed with his execution.

Anyone remember who it was?

Was someone a few months... maybe 6 mo ago put up a pic of his elegant solution. Don't remember the particulars, just that I was impressed with his execution.

Anyone remember who it was?
Maybe someone else had a solution, but I think the elegant solution was posted by me, and it was more like two years ago. How time flies. This was by a guy I sold some parts to, and then he had to show off what he had done and sent me pics. He also posted hid build on Facebook.
Anyways, here's the link:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/anyone-recognize-this-xs1-front-wheel.62565
Go to post #5.

My son-in-law is building a 650 bobber and wants the drum front end look on it. We are not having any luck coming up with a front end for it. I am not a bike smart person but was wondering why do you have to change the front end. Can a person just locate a wire rim the correct tire size and just machine spacers to center the wheel? Is it that hard to find one with the correct axel diameter? Just a thought any other Ideas? Thanks JohnB
Many late 70s and early 80s Hondas have fork tunes the same diameter for a simple swap. A Honda CM400/450 has a hub with front drum brakes.

Back