Omaha, Nebraska XS650 Bobber Build

Thanks vsop-dk. Started the project back in January of 2014 with hopes of completing this spring. Been a crazy rough year with family medical issues and other life challenges but have been able to keep on track with this build. I'll continue updating this thread, stumbling through the wiring after watching many many youtube videos on soldering and rewiring and slamming my head against the wall with wiring diagrams. Really want the wiring to be special, here is some of the wiring products i am using in case anyone is interested...

Fuse Block: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO6Q4SU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wire: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1YLDB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery (not using as electric start): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CADO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Waterproof Connectors(2,3,4,5,6 pins): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXQWN72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, you have come along, looking cool.

About the cabeling, im there myself now.. im prepping for the wires etc.. and have actually bought a custom made harness wich is deliveres from top line wire and cabeling. It has all whats needed and all in Black, where on each wire its written in small txt what the wire is for etc. It has build in fuseboard and relays etc.

Pretty exiting mounting it... can't wait 5 months or so before weather is good enough to go driving ;)

Keep up the good Work.:bike:

Ps.thanks for the links... great to see alternatives to the custom build.

Where did you get your harness from? I figure if I "F" this up that might be the way to go. Or did it come with a diagram? If so can you upload it?

Well made it through the holiday's and into the New Year 2015! Was able to get some wiring done. I would say I am about 90% complete. This is the electrical heart of the machine:
full

full

This week will finish up on the wiring all that is left is to finish up the brake/tail light and the ignition coil. Was able to test the headlight, speedo light, and horn out this evening. This week will check to make sure I have a spark at the plugs then will tear all the way back done, finish weld everything up, and then get painting/powdercoating, still trying to figure out who will do the paint and what colors to shoot. Will keep the updates coming. Tax season is underway and me being an Accountant it is our busy season but still on track for that April 15th completion date for this bobber.

full

So here is a question for you all. I purchased this bike stock and wasn't running. However was able to get it to sputter a bit when and run for a few seconds back last January. Completely went through the motor. I am just going to keep the headers of the stock exhaust and run them straight though. I have newer better flow air filters than stock. So obviously I am going to have to do a bit of carb work. Where is a good place to start with the carbs? I went through and cleaned them all up and have a new carb rebuild kit, using the stock jets. Should I run it for a bit with what I have when I get to that point? This week I am finishing up the electrical will test for spark then will tear down to the frame to finish weld then paint then put back together.

Well have the bike torn back down to do the finish welds and grinding on the frame before shipping it off to be powder coated. Waiting for my younger brother to stop by Wednesday to help get the motor pulled without damaging the paint.
full

full

Was able to get the rest of the frame welded up, have a bit of grinding here & there then should be able to ship it off to get sandblasted and powdercoated.
full

Need to call around for prices, what was the name of the business in Lincoln you used again? Also, have a buddy from the old country (Palmyra/Bennet, NE) that could possibly do it as well. Not sure on the sheet metal, like the idea that you had by powdercoating those as well, but dont want to get super spendy on it. Been good at keeping this build right on my inital budget.

Need to call around for prices, what was the name of the business in Lincoln you used again? Also, have a buddy from the old country (Palmyra/Bennet, NE) that could possibly do it as well. Not sure on the sheet metal, like the idea that you had by powdercoating those as well, but dont want to get super spendy on it. Been good at keeping this build right on my inital budget.

Crosslink Custom Coatings. I have him doing my new rear fender right now.

www.facebook.com/CrossLinc

A few more pictures before sending it out the door for paint and coating. Been busy with tax season and only having a few hours a week to do some work to it. Probably will be going crazy while the paint is being applied. Then will probably end up taking a day off here and there from my main job to get some big work done, before April 15th.

full

full

full

Thank you everyone for the input and recommendations on paint / powder coating. Decided to go with Top Dog Powder Coating in Omaha, NE to do the Frame in a Silver Gray color. Bunch of the smaller items is being powder coated by Cheney Welding & Repair out of Bennet, NE. Mostlikely will be painting the sheet metal with a buddy...wish us luck lol.

Thank you everyone for the input and recommendations on paint / powder coating. Decided to go with Top Dog Powder Coating in Omaha, NE to do the Frame in a Silver Gray color. Bunch of the smaller items is being powder coated by Cheney Welding & Repair out of Bennet, NE. Mostlikely will be painting the sheet metal with a buddy...wish us luck lol.

I can't wait to see it. What do you have planned for the sheet metal?

Think i am going to do a gloss blance with gray stripes or grind-swirl the actual metal to be the stripes...i don't know, it will be a very amature job to get the bike done for the season then maybe next winter get it professionally taken care of lol. Below are a couple pictures of the frame.

full

full

Smalls are coated waiting for me to go pick them up. Done by Ryan Cheney of Cheney Welding & Repair out of Bennett, Nebraska. Below are kind of a before and after:

Dropped off:
full

Finished:
full

So far it is really coming along great! Tomorrow will be dropping the sheet metal off at 402 Innovations in Omaha, Nebraska.

Back