Omar's 19" wheel conversion kit and swing arm

jmason

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed Omar's rear 19" Conversion kit per instructions. When I tighten spindle (axle) it binds the wheel and it will not spin. The spindle has a split lock nut for a Cotter pin so do I just back off nut until loose? I've rechecked assembly several times but result is the same. Thoughts? Oh yeah and no response from Omar via e-mail

Jim

If any wheel, stock or conversion, is binding when you tighten the spindle, the bearings are binding due to the outer bearing races not being seated properly in the hub, or missing or incorrect spacer for the inner races, or missing outside spacers.
Basically, when you tighten the spindle, the "compressive force" should be transmitted like this: Spindle nut-swing arm-dust cover/spacer-inner race-spacer sleeve-inner race-dust cover/spacer-swing arm-spindle head.
ALL of these need to be in positive contact with each other, any clearance, and a bearing will bind.

Once, I experienced a binding rear wheel on my Ducati M600, but all parts were installed. The outside spacer on the lefthand side is flat on one side and beveled on the other side. I had put the beveled side outwards, it is supposed to face inwards, and only make contact with the inner race of the bearing.

In any case, a wheel spindle should always be tightened to manufacturers spec. So find the issue instead of "backing off" the nut!

Last edited:
+1 what the frozen1 says. The axle must be tight. There is an assembly error somewhere.

gggGary,
No need to worry 'bout me freezing. Rather the opposite, sweating my b***s off at the moment. Working offshore in Congo, West Africa, 35C in the shade, 100% humidity....Actually looking forward to go home in a weeks time, 1 meter of snow and maybe -20C :)

The common reason for binding with axle tightening is a missing spacer inside the hub between the bearings. The outer bearing race must spin freely with no pressure on the ball bearings. Without the inner spacer the bearings are being forced together.

The axle is tightened to great tension while the spacers and inner race of the bearings are put under much compression. This gives the strength of a large solid steel pipe welded across the end of the swingarm and helps the swingarm with much of its structural integrity. Axle bolt is tightened to 109 ft. pounds, iirc.

Tom

The inner spacer is there but loose
jmason,
Then you need to remove the bearings. Use a heat gun (or the wife's hairdryer) to heat the hub, then they should come out without much trouble. Then clean the bearing seats in the hub thoroughly. If the spacer looks ok, measure its length, and measure the width of the hub at the bearing location. The spacer needs to be slightly longer (max. 0.10 mm), or same length as the width of the hub. Then check the bearings carefully, by rotating them and feeling for anyresistance, catching or binding. If they are OK, install the bearings carefully, ensuring they seat fully in the hub. And don't forget the spacer before installing the second bearing :)

We'll I figured it out! It was the rear break mount rubbing against the disk. It needed another shim and a little grinding on the bracket and all is good.

Here are a few pictures of the rear tire asembly
IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Jim

I really like that. Every time I look at my 16" rear I think about doing that conversion.

Back