omars 19" wheel

I ended up using the front wheel from an XS1100 Yamaha, early model not sure the year.
But, did notice it is heavier built than the 650 or other smaller model rims of the same size.
Center hub is a little meatier for one and other areas are thicker for the heavier XS1100, so it makes for a better back rim.
IMHO

Hi Brian,
I think that either one of my XS11's dreaded POs swapped in an XS650 front wheel or that you are deluding yourself.
I was just in my garage comparing my XS11's front wheel to one of my extra XS650 front wheels that I stood right next to it.
As far as I can see they are the same effin' wheel.
Both have raised cast lettering saying 1.85 - 19 and they look to be identical.
Mind you, one says Kobi Steel and the other says Asahi Malleable Iron which must be the manufacturers not the material because they are both aluminum.

Look close to the picture in my post.

The area where the brake disc bolts onto is filled in on the 1100 wheel.

Standard 650 mag wheel is not filled in.

Am I going to have to send you my glasses? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

• XS650 with 1100 rim.jpg
    XS650 with 1100 rim.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 201
Brian, I am also a little confused by your term, "filled in"? even with your red circle I see nothing different? I a m looking all over e bay now to see these differences and so far, nada?

Is this wheel a "unfilled in" wheel, vs your filled in wheel?

Attachments

• xswheel.JPG
    xswheel.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Here you go guys.

Between the bolt holes, that area is dished inward, on a 1100 it's is solid.

Look at the 6 bolt holes and the finished area around them on your rim.

It's not bridged like mine on the outer edge from one to the other.

And the other difference on the web in the center is just a slight height difference.

All of which makes a stronger wheel for the weight difference of the XS1100.

Attachments

• XS650 with xs650 rim.jpg
    XS650 with xs650 rim.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 175
Hi Brian,
all 4 of my XS front wheels, including the wheel in my XS11, have the same daisy petal hub shape as Dave's black wheel.
The full circle hub of your yellow wheel is plain enough to see, now that you draw my attention to it so no, I don't need to borrow your glasses.
But WTF, eh? I've never seen that particular hub configuration before.

The other thing you notice and what drew my attention was the full circle for support, plus when trying to add weights to balance the tires, the weight fits the 1100 wheel fully while the front 650 wheel, original, has a lower web in the center. The extra web height was obvious but I never actually measured the difference. Probably only 2 or 3 mm more.

Just noticed, the picture above shows the weight and how it sits nicely. Not so for the front rim.

This would be from a 78 or 79 XS1100 front wheel, later years may have changed with the move to Specials.

Interesting eh!!

Puzzle solved.
According to the XS11 Gurus Brian's yellow wheel is off an early model XS11. And yes, it's heavier than the later model XS11 wheels and has a full circle center.
It's also not rated for tubeless tires.

I just sent a check to Jim Henry on 9/6 for his conversion kit. Should have it late this week or early next.
Just a note about Omars/RobertWard. I sent him over $1200 in May for some parts. He assured me 3- weeks for delivery! After numerous emails/phone calls (he actually sent me back an email in June) and no parts/communication I have since filed an internet fraud charge against him via the FBI. If he owes you some $$$, go to: www.ic3.gov Feel free to use me as a co-complaintant. I'm sure something will come of this in the future.

I just sent a check to Jim Henry on 9/6 for his conversion kit. Should have it late this week or early next.
Just a note about Omars/RobertWard. I sent him over $1200 in May for some parts. He assured me 3- weeks for delivery! After numerous emails/phone calls (he actually sent me back an email in June) and no parts/communication I have since filed an internet fraud charge against him via the FBI. If he owes you some $$$, go to: www.ic3.gov Feel free to use me as a co-complaintant. I'm sure something will come of this in the future.

You taking bets?

You taking bets?
Not taking bets............but if everyone who was/is scammed by Omars, files a complaint with the FBI, maybe, just maybe they will see the greater fraud by this guy.

Not taking bets............but if everyone who was/is scammed by Omars, files a complaint with the FBI, maybe, just maybe they will see the greater fraud by this guy.

Probably not, as busy as the FBI is. If you are a senior citizen, my experience is you have more luck with the local DA for Senior/elder fraud and then its a long shot.

You're most likely correct, although my FBI caseworker, whom is located here in Longmont, has tried to contact Robert already. I know they're busy these days, but sometimes the small claim which might seem easy and will get some added attention.
I just might contact my local DA though. Good idea. Probably I will have to eat it.

I know that Omar's is under new management. It's called Omars Fiberglass now.
I bought my glass from them about a month ago. I have had a couple of conversations with the owner Kevin. He is a great guy that has always made the fiberglass parts for Omar's and Phil little. It sounds like he got kinda screwed by Robert too but is best friends with Phil little. He has that rear wheel kit on his website http://www.omarsfiberglass.com/

I do see the attraction of a fairly cheap and simple 19" rear wheel, with disc brake and no issue with sprocket size.

However, I wonder if a front wheel has sufficient lateral stiffness/strength for a rear wheel application. Especially if a spoked front wheel is used. It may well be that it is OK, but I still wonder.......

Back