I trust we're not putting them in jeopardy by revealing their true identities Dude!
No problem.
There is someone stable and intelligent in charge.
Robin hires only the best people.

0000223050_6701.jpg

Last edited:
....no no Robin - I've got three daughters and they (and I) really DO look like that!

The guy in the photos taken in Phoenix was an imposter!

DUDE - you made me snort! That guy is the best character in the Pink Panther movies - remember when he cut off the end of his thumb with the cigar trimmer?

LOL Pete. I never get tired of watching all those movies.....classics! Time to pull them off the shelf again.

That really is great story Robin. This big old world of ours gets smaller and smaller each day.
Hey by the way, I love your photography on your motor. I think you could frame some of those!
Agreed. One of those would look nice on the wall. Fantastic work Robin:)

Well, I feel like a kid at Christmas. Unfortunately I also feel like that kids Dad who had to pay for it all!

Got my engine parts back from my machinist today.

Cylinders are bored out and honed for 2nd over pistons and head and cylinder top are decked. Sure looks pretty. Took some pics before oiling everything up and bagging again for another few months until things warm up enough to put her back together.

IMG_20180119_140114.jpg IMG_20180119_140125.jpg

IMG_20180119_140634.jpg IMG_20180119_140648.jpg

IMG_20180119_140355.jpg IMG_20180119_140621.jpg

Also should mention here that I oiled and tested the new wrist pins in the cod rods and all’s good. No discernable radial play.

And now to close the book on a story from May 28, 2017. Page 3, post #46.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/on-the-road-again-at-40-the-bike-that-is.49360/page-3#post-507196

2M you’ll likely recall doing up this pic way back then suggesting a solution.

BS38-Damage-Robinc02.jpg

This was blunt force trauma damage on a set of carbs I picked up that prevented the throttle shaft seal from………. well……….sealing.

Picked up the repaired carb today as well. Terry sorted through his boxes of goodies and cleaned up the throttle shaft bore with an end mill he found that was the right size.

I think he did a great job if it and saved it. Nice!

IMG_20180119_144525.jpg IMG_20180119_144719.jpg

Another basement bench winter project to finish up.

Can't wait to try this set out again!

Robin,
Lookin good! Man those parts look like brand new! And good for you for saving that carburetor, they sure aren't making any more of them. You are on your way to having one beautiful motor! Great work!

Thanks Bob!
I'm pretty stoked about both things. Got lots of other projects in line but it will be nice to return to my comfort zone and get my fingers into a set of BS38's again!

great work Robin . I liked the conservation work you did a while back on the 77D too. That was such a lot o polishing work you did I'd be interested in how it has faired and how you are keeping it nice and shiny. My shiny bits went dull and oxidized overnight

no I was referring to the 77D in the first post in this thread ;)
IMG_20170516_155902.jpg

no I was referring to the 77D in the first post in this thread ;)

Ah, sorry peanut, my bad. Your question made me wonder 'exactly' how things were holding up.

I just took a pic of that exhaust in the condition it was in when it came off the bike in November. Other than needing cleaning and further polishing now that it is off the bike it has held up well. Chrome being a pretty resistant finish I suppose.

IMG_20180120_110643.jpg

And some pics of a front fork tube. The first pic is prior to any polishing as it was in May of 2016. 2nd pic was after it was polished with Autosol, July 2016, prior to brake line change. The third pic is taken today.

1a. 77D Forks Before.jpg 1a. 77D Forks done.jpg IMG_20180120_112223.jpg

On the top part of todays pic you can see the white powdery corrosion that has started. This would have been last touched up/polished with Autosol in late October. So this has developed in 2 to 2 1/2 months. Today I wiped off that dusty powder on the bottom and did a quick buff.

Sounds about right. I have to hit my polished alloy parts with the rag and polish (I use Blue Magic) a couple times a season, or after getting caught in the rain if I fail to wipe them off before they dry (with spots). I don't give my polished alloy parts a "show" finish. I rarely buff beyond the coarse black emery compound. But, continued upkeep and hand polishing afterwards seems to keep making them better and better, improving the finish and shine.

Back