That's an easy one... do what you want. People chop em', bob em', restore em'.... leave em' original, warts n' all....
It's your bike Robin... make it what you want it to be.

Thanks Jim. I've just lived with it and figure I can't see it when I'm riding. so I've just left well enough alone. Certainly this is on the bottom of the to do list. And, would be after my next project 78 is done. Now that one HAS to have a full strip and repaint.

Just catching up here....and looking at Robin’s photos above.

To quote a Cycle magazine article about the Honda CBX when it was introduced, “when too much is simply not enough....”

....we’ve got Robin doing the polishing.....

Wow Robin - that looks nice!

Last edited:
With all this snow on the ground right now along with an extended stretch of cold weather warnings, spring and putting it back together again for real seems like a long ways away. Cleaned up this set of carbs a bit and touched up the valve covers again. Found the points and advance housings will polish up nicely too.

Just had to do one last mockup a couple of weeks ago to have a peek before bagging everything up again.

Posted 175112 Edit West.jpg

Posted 174009 Edit West.jpg Posted 175145 Edit West.jpg

And now, for the rest of the story………..

screenshot_20180106_163350.jpg

Right now I’m sitting here looking at my new pistons and bits and can’t help but reflect on what a changing world we live in, the power of the internet, this amazing forum, and the friendships that are forged here.

When I discovered that cruizinimage would not ship these to Canada, or to a PO box, DanielBlack offered to add them to his order. We could save on some shipping, and they arrived in Phoenix. As you likely read Maxpete from Windsor, ON, 120 miles to my west, was in Phoenix for a post Christmas holiday with his family. Pistons were handed off to Pete and brought to Canada in his suitcase. One of Pete’s daughters is attending Western University here in London and she passed them off to me today.

Wow. Back in May 2016 when I started cleaning up this old girl I couldn’t even have dreamed up a story like this.

Thank you all, and to everyone here, all the best for 2018!

You are most welcome my friend! I can’t wait to hear that melodic clash of XS650 starter gears (Mailman says it sounds like a spoon going through a garburator) followed by.....

....kablatta, kablatta, kablatta......:popcorn:

Last edited:
That really is great story Robin. This big old world of ours gets smaller and smaller each day.
Hey by the way, I love your photography on your motor. I think you could frame some of those!

Back