one blinker (turn signal/indicator) stays solid, other blinks

bldhndzgng

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I know for a fact (I have video) that my turn signals worked properly the other day. However, when I pulled into my driveway after a decent ride, I noticed that when I turn on the left turn signal, the front signal stays solid while the rear does nothing. The right signal works properly. I haven't done anything that might lead to this. Just to be safe, I trickle charged the battery over night, but that didn't solve the problem. All of the other lights work properly, and again, I haven't been monkeying with anything. I've checked the connections and fuses to make sure they were all secure. Has anyone had this issue before?

On '80 and up inside the handlebar switch (deep inside) there are three wires soldered into three little cups. Unless you re-solder those you'll always have trouble with the signals.

Don't know if this applies to other years and don't know what year you have.

My bike does the same thing. I would assume its the flasher going out or the rear left bulb being burnt out. I'm curious what it is because I have to tackle this one soon myself

What kinda charge are you getting back to the battery?

Wonky lights are a symptom of low a battery.

The bulb is good, and the battery and charging system check out. I'll have to dig deeper into the switch and check all the hidden connections. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know what it was when I'm blinking again.

Electrical sucks. After messing with it for hours all I know is that when the working blinker is on, the relay clicks continuously. The other side clicks once and lights up the front constant and not the rear at all. I am so frustrated.

Yes the bike has a turn signal cancel switch. I also took the switch apart to look at the solder connections which were clean and secure. I have resigned to the fact that there has to be a short somewhere. Something else odd is that my bikes wiring appears to be stock, but most diagrams I've seen show two wires to each of the rear indicator lights where mine has only one each. The fronts have two as shown. It's just killing me that this all worked two days ago. BTW, I have an '82 HS

I'm sure If the flasher unit was bad it would affect all the indicators. has to be a short of some kind. Not getting power to the back light might make the front on that side stop pulsating. Pull all connecters and do a Continuity test to all the wires on the left side circuit. as you go through rejoin them until you find a problem.
I'm not so hot on electrics but that is what i would do

Yes the bike has a turn signal cancel switch. I also took the switch apart to look at the solder connections which were clean and secure. I have resigned to the fact that there has to be a short somewhere. Something else odd is that my bikes wiring appears to be stock, but most diagrams I've seen show two wires to each of the rear indicator lights where mine has only one each. The fronts have two as shown. It's just killing me that this all worked two days ago. BTW, I have an '82 HS

The 2 wires....one is a ground that connects to the post of the turn signal, the other supplies juice of course.

I know what the two wires are, mine just doesn't have two at the rear. The ground is apparently built into the turn signal since it contacts the frame.

Either way, I got it fixed. After checking everything I could think of, I just started replacing the bullet connectors one by one and checking the signal after each connection. Finally I got the bad one. Problem solved, but what a pain in the ass. Thanks again for all the help guys, hopefully someone else can benefit from this.

I had the same problem just the opposite front right blinker out and rear right solid, while left side is working fine....

turned out to be a loose wire in the in the headlight can... hope that can help anyone else with the the same issue

cheers

78 XS650E

Last edited:
Xs650SE, had my left front and left rear signals solid yellow, while my rights were blinking fine. Only thing I could think was that I dropped the bike a few times trying to load it into my trailer the other day.

So i read a few threads on here and the manual. I opened the front left case for the light, cleaned the connections with a dremel and reassembled it. Everything works fine now.

Back