One problem after another

Sounds like you have either a heavy electrical drain somewhere or more likely the charging system isn't. That would be the answer for both the dead cylinder and no juice to start it.
#1 charge the battery.
then see if it starts.
now get a voltmeter on it see if it's charging
The poor mans first test is point the headlight at a wall when you rev the engine does the light get brighter?
I'm stumped. Battery is fully charged. Kickstarter wont even turn it over. Left cylinder had a spark, right cylinder did not. Now the electric start isn't doing anything. I did have a friend look over the bike and the glass fuse holder broke for the headlight fuse. He said it would be ok to directly connect the wires,. I will take a picture. At one point today I had the bike running great!

Yes the fuse clips tend to crumble. It's not OK to direct connect wires either replace the fuse block (best) or put in individual fuse holders.

+1 - do not connect the wires directly together. That fuse protects your bike if there is a short somewhere.

Without it - you risk a fire or at least a burned out wiring harness. Electrical fires in vehicles (particularly where the fire is close to the fuel tank) - are NO JOKE.

Go to an auto parts store and buy a little fuseholder for a modern blade type fuse ($5 or less). It will come with a wire on each end which you simply splice onto the existing fuse leads on your bike. This is a very simple 5 minute job - and will protect your investment and possibly your life and home.

You'll get there.

Pete

I agree with gggGary...............................Doing short cuts to wiring often lets the smoke out. ...................You've got problems. bypassing a fuse may exasperate it and worse case scenario....................................

This is what you are looking for (polarity doesn't matter - there is no way to mixup the input/output):

spalsh-proof-blade-fuse-holder.jpg

Agreed - there is usually a bunch of different sizes - get a fuse holder with wire leads that are the same size as the wires on your bikes fuse holder.

Also - be sure to install a fuse of the correct rating. I'm not sure what year or configuration your bike is - but my bike had one 15 amp fuse - and so that is what I replaced the broken glass fuse with.

Pete

Thank you everyone for help but I am getting rid of the bike. It's too much, I am too stupid ha. I have it posted in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

The DIY deal of owning an XS is not for everyone, not by a stretch. The whole idea of a bike is enjoying it. If it's not the right bike for you, ditch it.

Try an SV650. Still nice and light, good power, sweet V twin sound, reasonable price (I got mine for $1300)...totally modern and very reliable.

The DIY deal of owning an XS is not for everyone, not by a stretch. The whole idea of a bike is enjoying it. If it's not the right bike for you, ditch it.

Try an SV650. Still nice and light, good power, sweet V twin sound, reasonable price (I got mine for $1300)...totally modern and very reliable.
It's been along time BHR.

Hey Jack. I don't go away for long :) I just keep getting other projects that take a higher priority. I've got things in a reasonable place so I can get back to the XSs again.

Thank you everyone for help but I am getting rid of the bike. It's too much, I am too stupid ha. I have it posted in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Nobody thinks you are stupid RVA - it just may not be the right bike for you, or at least, not the right bike right now. Anyway, you've moved it on to another person who will take care of it and bring it back to reliability - and in my view, that is wise thing to have done. Maybe when you have more time and experience, you'll come back to the XS650 and have a blast with it.

FWIW - I totally concur with Ralph's suggestion of a Suzuki SV650. I have been sort of dithering about getting one of those myself. A riding buddy has an SV and it really is a great bike for all around riding. Not the biggest, not the fastest - but certainly good at everything, well equipped, very reliable and easy to own (modern, reliable, safe and lots of affordable parts around).

Cheers,

Pete

FWIW - I totally concur with Ralph's suggestion of a Suzuki SV650. I have been sort of dithering about getting one of those myself. A riding buddy has an SV and it really is a great bike for all around riding. Not the biggest, not the fastest - but certainly good at everything, well equipped, very reliable and easy to own (modern, reliable, safe and lots of affordable parts around).

Cheers,

Pete

I very nearly pulled the trigger on a new one before I decided to go for a restoration. Suzuki has really given that bike a refresh. It may not be as fast as your Jet Honda, but it is so light and flick able and the power to weight ratio is really good. And for our young friend here, you're right. It has one added benefit, it is reliable as a stone axe.
Just turn the key and it goes...every time.

So do Hondas for the most part. Occasionally I tell some new guy here to "buy a Honda". It's not meant as an insult, just a statement of the facts as I see them. They aren't experienced enough to properly care for or renovate a 650. There's nothing wrong with that. I just feel these bikes require a bit higher skill level and commitment than most new bike owners have to offer. I'm sure they'd like to, but it's not something money can buy. It takes time.

Yup - time, patience and a bit of money. Somethings that young folks are often short of - with new careers, kids, etc. etc. etc.

Oh well....t'was ever thus.

Pete

I always tell some guys to get a S40 Boulevard. Those things have been around forever and are a great little thumper. They also make some kits for them, like a cafe one, and have a good following.

Yup there are good deals floating around in general the sweet spot right now is late 90's early 2000's bikes. Old enough to have little blue book value, often found as garage queens with some scratches, now the owner just wants room for the snow blower LOL. Even this age of bikes will need new battery, fresh tires, and a few basic maintenance jobs over the first year or two.

Now Gary why did you mention snowblowers?

Is the weather pretty fresh in beautiful downtown Baraboo? It sure is here on Canada's south coast. I'm out for my vintage bike club breakfast and the old Ford Escape was not enthusiastic this morning.

Pete

Warming up today, s'posed to see 15F -10C for a high, go Pack! Pretty much keeping two wood stoves going full time, why I was working on carbs yesterday, bench is close to the wood stove.

+1, Gary! Re. the SV650, right, it's an extremely reliable machine. I bought a new '03 (first year of EFI and cast aluminum frame) and rode it for 10 years; the bike asked for nothing but routine maintenance in that time. 70-plus hp at the wheel out of the box, crazy low-end grunt, redline past 11K rpm, 11:1 static CR and runs on regular gas--pure sorcery.

Had to install Race Tech emulators and springs up front and an Ohlins double clicker shock before it stopped dancing off the line in rough corners, but once that was done it was a dream to ride--solo, that is. If you put a passenger on board, the bike inflicts pure misery on the passenger and you; even a very short lady will be riding with her knees on a level with her chin, and the high perch raises the center of gravity so far that controlling the bike at low speed becomes a real chore. I sold the SV a couple of years back and bought a used 2006 EX650 Kawasaki parallel twin. Again, rear wheel HP a bit north of 70, better tractability off closed throttle (the SV is notoriously sudden), very nice ergonomics for both rider and passenger, surprisingly good stock suspension, nice handling both solo and otherwise, and nothing to do apart from routine maintenance. In race trim those things have been eating up Hardly Ablesons in flat track racing, if that tells you anything. And they're cheap on the used market; good ones can be had for under $3000.

Back