One problem after another

Ok, so I'm sure some have been wondering about this bike and what was going on. Well, maybe you don't wonder...but imma tell you anyway!!
I bought the bike from RVA804 and it is in the barn.

First thing I did was to put a new battery in it. 2 kicks and it fired up. Seemed odd as he had put a new battery in a month prior and now it wouldn't start.
I shut it off and tried it again. No luck. Sucker wouldn't even pop. I went through the wiring real quick and found this....
upload_2017-1-29_18-58-54.png

Taped it up and it fired up again. However, after I shut it down it wouldn't pop again. I went through some more wiring and checked the coil. Found it!!! The spark plug caps were connected with one strand of copper. Snipped and screwed them back on, fixed!

Did a quick charging test...slap test fine...charging fine... then the left exhaust became a mosquito fogger billowing white smoke.
Seems that the valve stem seal is toast.

So I have completely stripped the bike (the guy before RVA804 rattle canned the whole thing. Wiring and all) and pulled the engine.
I'm going to start working on it soon and will update later....

Man, I'm glad you are able to fix this thing up. I did pick up a vulcan 800 and it's been great so far, I sure do miss this bike though!

Good for you Bill - and RVA, I hope that you are able to stick around and learn so that when your ready for an old bike..... you'll be ready!

Pete

Waiting on my valve compression tool. No idea what happened to my other one.
IMG_1353.JPG

Tomorrow I plan to clean up the frame. Its already cut up so I figure I'll do some trimming of tabs.

Last edited:
New steering bearings or was that done already? Adding a grease fitting for them is nice though. Now's the time.

Haven't gotten to the steering bearing yet. I only have one hook wrench and the nuts are tight. Waiting on another wrench, so I figured I'd clean up the frame. I will be replacing all bearings and adding grease fittings to the head and swingarm.
The freaking swingarm pivot bolt took a sledgehammer and a huge drift. I had to beat it the whole way. Completely locked.
This thing hasn't been apart in decades, let alone maintained.

Head looks like normal. A little oily, but not burnt. Why did you crack the egg? I though rv had it running.....kinda. Did you check compression? Btw, they are stock pistons

The cam was in backwards, so that needs to be turned around.
Compression is 150, but it started billowing white smoke from the left cylinder. I mean heavy white smoke. So I'm thinking it's a bad valve stem seal on the left intake.
Front cam chain guide is gone, so that needs replacing too.
Also, the cam chain is original and the cam was not at the 12 o'clock position when I turned it around at TDC. More like 12:45, so after some research and talking to 5twins it appears the chain it too stretched. I noticed trying to kick it before I turned the cam around it kicked back like a mule.
Since it's out I'm just going to rebuild the top end.

The guy before RVA spray painted everything, and it's all peeling. Even the carbs, but only the outsides, as they were still installed on the bike when he did it. Cheap ass hack job.
RVA told me the PO had done a top end job, but by judging what is left in the gasket kit, I think not. Hell, a couple of the head bolts were finger tight and the two on the spark plug were extremely loose.

Back