Only receiving .01v per kick

By the results would that mean the reg/rect is operating normally in your opinion?

Got a new meter to double check my readings.

I am using a new auto range digital meter set to auto/ohms to check against my cheapie $5 meter. I tried to get a reading touching the probes, but numbers were jumping all over the place with every breath. Would go to zero for a second, then jump around. This was also the case for my cheapie.

If the store where you bought that "Auto Ranging" meter will accept returns or exchanges, take it back and get a non auto ranging meter. Auto ranging meters are not well suited to troubleshooting. They just add confusion to an already confusing situation. :doh: After you get your hands on a regular meter, go to Radio Shack and buy a better set of test leads as well, a set with an alligator clip on the black lead. If they do not have a set of test leads with an alligator clip on the black test lead, buy a couple of alligator clips and solder one on to the black, negative test lead of the meter. Otherwise we will all be here for at least another week to ten days trying to interpret your readings. :banghead:

I am about to give up on this crap. I will buy another reg/rec and see if it fixes the issue. I have no idea what brand Hugh sells to get any info from anyways. So numbers are pointless.

I'm not gonna sell you another regulator, I'll just send you one - shoot me your address :)

We'll go from there and make sure you are up and running soon!

Hugh

From looking at those readings the rectifier part of your reg is fine. There is no way to test the regulator part.
When testing a diode, there are six in a 3 phase rectifier, The procedure you used tests all six diodes. The high reading should be at least ten times as much as the low readings. Your no reading means infinity. That's at least ten times more than your low readings. So your rectifier is fine.
I do agree with pamcopete an auto ranging meter is good for higher voltages and ohms but on the lower voltages and ohms they don't read very well.
I have found that even the cherap digital meters work fine as long as the battery and leads are good.
When I got my first meter about 10 or so years ago it is a SunPro by Actron, cost me about $40 new. When I started working on my 650's I was getting strange readings. I looked around and got an item #90891 from Harbor Freight. The meter worked well no more strange readings. I swapped the leads around and my old meter worked just fine. Apparently the leads on the old meter were damaged. Picked up a new set and now have two good meters.
The only thing I don't like about the Harbor Freight meter is the leads are a bit short.
Leo

Ember,

Riding season is just around the corner. I know as we all do that you will sometimes find yourself trying to figure out something that just doesn't cooperate. :banghead: Stick with it. The answer will come and you and we will be surprised at how simple the problem and answer was. :thumbsup:

Ride. Enjoy. Life is simple.

Thank you for all the help, guys. Hugh is taking care of me, and I can not thank him, and all of you, enough for the help. This has been very frustrating to say the least. But at least now I have a better understanding on how to use my meter!

20 miles on the bike, first time getting it on the road, and riding season is here in CA already, haha.

Back