Opinions wanted on paint scheme

resto

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am doing a "triumph-ish" paint job on my spare 77 standard tank, and would like your opinions on the proportions of the silver "scallops" to the rest of the tank. Too big, too small? Eventual plan is to finish the badges in foil and paint. Once I can get the proportions right, tank will be stripped to bare metal, dents and dings removed, then painted.

-resto

Attachments

• tank-5a.jpg
    tank-5a.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 147
  • tank-13a.jpg
    tank-13a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 154
  • tank-14.jpg
    tank-14.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 140
  • tank-12a.jpg
    tank-12a.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 147
  • tank-9a.jpg
    tank-9a.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 142
  • tank-15.jpg
    tank-15.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 161
I think they look good in prop to the rest of the tank size. A nice thin pinstriped outline with that size would look classy.

Overall size excellent. In pic 6, you have a couple extra layout lines showing possible inside curves above the badge... I'd go with the middle line, as it forms a nice continuation of the inside of the beaded edge of the badge. Same with the forward edge of the scallop; if it recurved aft a bit, to form a continuation of the inside of the beaded part of the badge...

I'm imagining the silver scallop as an overall continuation of the rectilinear portion of the badge that holds the lettering, with the stretched teardrop portion of the badge cutting across these sweeps of line.

Thanks all for the feedback.

visimpact: it will definitely get pinstripped

mwp3009: I was thinking along the lines of blue, not sure if I should go solid or metallic

osteoderm: I think you are right about the middle curve, going to go with that

-resto

Made some progress on the resin badges. Used a product called bare-metal foil for the shiny stuff. Not overly happy with it but can live with it. Next is to get the tank painted (blue with silver scallops).
badge-2.jpg
badge-6.jpg
[badge-9.jpg
badge-11.jpg

New to the site, like the badges, are they commericialy available or did you make them yourself? Im building an xs street scrambler with Rickman metisse hi level pipes

The badges are done by myself and made of plastic resin. More hours in them than I care to mention......
I would like to do them in metal eventually, maybe aluminum or pot metal. Something that could be chromed. Will have to wait for riding season to end and have more spare time.

Post some pictures of your bike. Do all the British XS's come with dual front disks from the factory?

Back