Output shaft query

Pipes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,just tinkering on the engine while I'm waiting for my bodywork to come back from the painters and I was looking at the output shaft with the sprocket,a 520 type,and noticed once the sprocket is on there isn't enough shaft protruding through the sprocket to accommodate the lock tab/washer...sure I have plenty of thread for the nut but I would've expected at least a mm or two to sit the washer on or will the shaft 'pull through' once I start tightening the nut???Cheers.

It is a tiny ledge for that washer. I might try the nut without the washer, snug up, remove see if that gives you room for the washer.
Guess you could grind a way a bit of sprocket face if that doesn't work.

520 wasn't the original chain and sprocket size, 530 was. So, that means your 520 sprocket is aftermarket and maybe made not quite right.

Thanks guys,..yeh it's running a Heiden front drive sprocket with 520 chain and rear...I shall have a look again today and nip the nut up and see if it helps...I was just wondering whether it was something more serious inside the casing but it all went back together after the rebuild as factory and turns/runs well..I shall report back.

All is well...on closer inspection it seems the new sprocket was simply tight on the splines due to some tiny burrs left after manufacturing.Doing the nut tight broke the burrs and it pulled up to the bush behind it..cheers guys.

that stack up seals in the oil, make sure everything is clean and flat................

Cheers Gary...it did cross my mind how the oil does not weep past the splines...but its nice and tight so it can only be a good thing.

Back