oversized rings standord bore

Dakota

Dakota
Reaction score
I understand oversized rings will give me more compression. it is a standard stock bore I just honed the cylinders to clean it up... just wondering what size of rings i should get?

Using 1st oversize rings in a used standard bore is a way to get nice tight ring end gaps. I think you'll find even new standard size rings are going to give you out of spec end gaps in a used bore. If you're buying new rings, the oversize ones don't cost any more than the standard size really.

Yes, those are them, and a good brand name as well. If you shop around some, you may get a better deal. I got 2 sets for about that much several years back. If you go this 1st oversize route, be aware that you'll need to file the end gaps to the right spec. This isn't a drop-in change. The rings will be too big to fit in as they come.

well since im a begginer at this i think ill stick to the standard size then thanks for the advice though

If you honed them your self, then isn't hard to use a flat file. Even the rings off mikes you will need to file them for the right gap.

yea i suppose your right on that part. I have no idea what a proper gap measurment would be. what do you think

Filing end gaps isn't hard to do. It can take some time.
As 650 skull says, a flat file works. Clamp the file in a vise. Set the open part of the ring over the file. Stroke the ring down the file. Put it in the cylinder. check gap. If too tight. A few more strokes on the file, re try.
To check the gap put the ring in the top of the cylinder, use a piston to push it down in the cylinder a bit farther till it's straight in the cylinder. You use a feeler gauge to measure the gap bwetween the ends of the rings.
Your repair manual gives the procedure and specs. End gaps are top .008-.016, second same as the top, the third .012-.035

Honda D15 car motors from the early 90's run the same bore and ring sizes as our bikes. I think I paid $15 for a four-cylinder set on ebay.

Unfortunately, 1st oversize in those car rings is .50mm bigger than stock. First oversize for our 650 is .25mm so the 1st OS car rings are actually our 2nd oversize. I don't think you can put 2nd oversize rings in a stock bore.

Back