Paint restoration

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am slowly restoring my 1979 Special II. Some parts, like the battery box need to be de-rusted and painted.

What is the best process for this?

- use a paint stripper
- rust converter (any recommendation?)
- sand
- clean
- prime
- sand
- spray paint (2 layers?)

Thank you for any advice.

Greetings from the hot Front Range,
Armin

Some are powder coating everything. I think that I may powder coat my tank next. It looks good and last forever. Tony C

I bought a 18 dollar sandblasting gun from Northern Tool company. And then went to Home Depot or Lowes and purchased some "fine" sand. That little blaster saved my ass last week prepping parts for primer!!! Just an idea rather than sanding the rust out and converting it.

I bought a 18 dollar sandblasting gun from Northern Tool company. And then went to Home Depot or Lowes and purchased some "fine" sand. That little blaster saved my ass last week prepping parts for primer!!! Just an idea rather than sanding the rust out and converting it.
Thank you. Does using a primer make a big difference?

Back when I did more metal painting, when painting bare metal you had to use an etching primer for the paint to hold well. I don't know with the new water-based paints if you can still get etching primer, but I'd check with an auto paints supplier to see what's best for bare metal.

Battery box, thats an easy one.

Blast it with oxide, fill it with all metal, coat it with POR-15.

It will be the last time you ever had to mess with it. Ever

My whole bike is powder coated but if I had to do it again I would powder "nylon" coat the frame and paint the rest of the parts. That way if you get a chip in it you can fix it.

Back