Painting Equipment

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
What painting equipment does everyone using to paint their tins? The gas tank is always the hardest. I know Harber Freight has a number of sprayers.
Thanks.
Bill

I use someone else ;). Only painted one bike for my stepson several years ago, to add hardbags and batwing to a numbered paint set, flame job at that. Turned out ok but since I've always paid someone else for the expertise and proper equipment.
That said the HVLP systems generally have less overspray than a conventional pressurized sprayer, and I like the top canister paint sprayers, they're typically smaller, ample for general bike work, which makes them lighter to handle and more nimble to use.

I use someone else ;). Only painted one bike for my stepson several years ago, to add hardbags and batwing to a numbered paint set, flame job at that. Turned out ok but since I've always paid someone else for the expertise and proper equipment.
That said the HVLP systems generally have less overspray than a conventional pressurized sprayer, and I like the top canister paint sprayers, they're typically smaller, ample for general bike work, which makes them lighter to handle and more nimble to use.
Who do you use to do the painting? How much do they charge to paint an XS2? Thanks. Bill

I used to paint for a living, so I'm prolly a little pickier than most... and could prolly write a book on the subject of guns. I'll try and keep this short....

Guns fall into the category of "you're only as good as your equipment."
I've used about every gun HF sells. They all work, but none I've used give a good atomized spray pattern for quality work. Want to protect a farm tractor from corrosion on the cheap?... they'll do just fine. A thousand dollar job on a gas tank?... not so much.
For the last 15 yrs or so I've been using this. It's a DeVillebliss Starting Line touch up gun. Normally a buck fifty, Amazon has it right now for a little over a hundred bills. This gun does a good job for the price. It ain't a Sata... but it won't break the bank either.
One major niggle I have with the little DeVillebliss is the air control. In short, it sucks big time. I just leave it wide open and use a regulator I took off an old compressor. It plugs into the gun and the hose plugs into it.

1642625339910.png

Another niggle is the cup lid. It can be frustrating not to cross thread it putting it on. When the cup's full of paint, it becomes a big time irritation. There's a cup with a pop on and off lid for about 20 bucks that works much better.

1642625389135.png

Alas... my poor little gun is about wore out, and the parts from the newer one won't swap in.
So I recently picked this one up. I haven't used it yet 'cause it's a full size gun with a full size (qt.) cup. Soon as I pick up a pint cup I'll give it a shot.

Bottom line... for part time shooting by an amateur (no offense meant), the little DeVillebliss will treat you well.

1642625600980.png

I just use a cheap suction gun and compressor. I only have a small workshop, so when I paint I clear a corner, hang up some tarps, turn on the fan, and spray. Works OK, you don't need all the latest and best equipment. Key is preparation. this tank is done in acrylic lacquer. Straight off the gun, I didn't bother cutting and polishing as I'm expecting lots of scratches and dents by the time I'm finished. I'll probably use 2k for the final job.

Attachments

• tank top.jpg
    tank top.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 85
What painting equipment does everyone using to paint their tins? The gas tank is always the hardest. I know Harber Freight has a number of sprayers.
Thanks.
Bill
Hi Bill,
first, you need an air compressor with enough capacity to operate a small paint gun. Mebbe 10 CFM.
Then you can fight air-tool addiction.
The largest thing you are liable to paint is a gas tank and that'll only need a small detail gun.
You'll also need a good quality breathing mask as paint solvents will rip yer lungs out if you inhale 'em.
And practice practice practice. There's a reason that professional painters serve an apprenticeship.

Air tool addiction is easy to beat: They are just so noisy and you need a reasonably large compressor to run things like blasting cabinets and belt sanders. If I had my way I wouldn't have a single air tool in my workshop.

When I was a Tech Rep (PPG) I had 3 SATA digital`s, 2 Mini-Jet`s and a 1.7 primer gun and every tip-needle combo available at the time, plus a aluminum caring case. In 2004 that was the best money could buy. The only problem was I had to turn it all back in.:shrug:

And then once you got a space and equipment dialed in… just gotta lean how to use it.

A skilled painter can do wonders with junk equipment. An unskilled painter will still turn out a bad paint job with the best equipment.

I’m not looking to make any museum pieces… 😂😂😂

9140470A-66E7-49DB-BE84-F6A035BEFF55.jpeg

You'll also need a good quality breathing mask as paint solvents will rip yer lungs out if you inhale 'em
This is very important ! When wearing a good mask you should not be able to smell the paint. The catalyst in two-part paints like Imron is an isocyanate, a chemical directly related to cyanide and therefore deadly. I also recommend getting a copy of "The Paint and Body Handbook" by authors Taylor and Hofer and published by HP Books. In it is a wealth of information on painting and such. It will make a fine addition to your library and is not expensive.

I have a DeVillebliss Finishline HVLP gun that I've had for about 15 years for for top-coating, and an old Craftsman (manufactured by DeVillebliss) siphon feed for primer and sealer that I've had for probably 25 years. I think the Finishline HVLP series has been changed to the Startingline series that @Jim has now. Over the years I found that the most important thing to consider when painting (besides space) is water. If you cannot get the driest air possible your just pissing in the wind and wasting money. In addition to a air water separator I also run a disposable screw on filter on my HVLP gun inline with my flow control valve.

Just looked at that Amazon gun. Looks like they now come with the cup that has the pop off lid. Bonus.
I still paint for a living and DeVilbiss Starting Line and Finish Line guns are an excellent value. No it's not a Sata or Iwata, but they will lay out a very good finish.

Back