Painting Lower Fork Legs - Help!

Im with wherearwe. I would powder coat. By the time you buy quality paint products you could powder coat for around the same price and have a much more durible finish.

I'm all for powdercoat for forks as well, but the issue with mine is that if I paint them to match my tank, then i can't get a matching powder...

I don't disagree. Personally, I have not had anything powder coated, nor looked into services/pricing near me. "Fear of the Unknown" is an overstatement in this case, so I may just need to broaden my Horizons.... :)

Last edited:
I found a powder-coating service not 15 minutes from me, but upon calling them was told that they refuse to powder coat any motorcycle parts - apparently due to pissed off customers. Not sure why they couldn't just have me sign a release or better yet guarantee customer satisfaction. Anyway, Fuck Em'.

Called a firm about an hour from me, explained my need and received a phone quote of about $75 per fork. Is this a reasonable/customary fee?

I found a powder-coating service not 15 minutes from me, but upon calling them was told that they refuse to powder coat any motorcycle parts - apparently due to pissed off customers. Not sure why they couldn't just have me sign a release or better yet guarantee customer satisfaction. Anyway, Fuck Em'.

Called a firm about an hour from me, explained my need and received a phone quote of about $75 per fork. Is this a reasonable/customary fee?

The reason a lot of powder coaters dont like cycle parts is because oils migrate into the pores of the metal. after spraying the powder it is baked at around 400 degrees which heats the oils and brings it to the surface and forms a bubble. I have a friend that coats my parts and he always prebakes my parts and then wipes them down before he lays down the powder(sometimes he bakes again and coats while the parts are hot). So it is a labor intensive process. I guess $75 would be a fair price.

- - - Called a firm about an hour from me, explained my need and received a phone quote of about $75 per fork. Is this a reasonable/customary fee?

Hi YL,
if it's as much of a hassle as Rusty sez, I guess so.
But that's $150 for doing the pair!
You could buy a new o-ring chain and both sprockets for that amount of money!
Polish the bastards instead, eh?

Back