Painting Mag Wheels

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, it looks like I've managed to track down a rear drum mag wheel for my bike. I was planning on having them powder coated but I don't have anything very local and the places I contacted seemed a lot pricier than I expected. I've been reading about painting wheels and it seems like it's pretty easy and durable. I'm sure it won't be as tough as powder coat but should hold up ok I would think.

Anybody have success doing this?

Hey guys, it looks like I've managed to track down a rear drum mag wheel for my bike. I was planning on having them powder coated but I don't have anything very local and the places I contacted seemed a lot pricier than I expected. I've been reading about painting wheels and it seems like it's pretty easy and durable. I'm sure it won't be as tough as powder coat but should hold up ok I would think.
Anybody have success doing this?

Hi Robert,
powder coating will cover the mag wheels' polished rims and spoke edges, as will spraying them with POR15 or other sturdy coating.
If you are OK with this, fine.
If you want to preserve the shiny bits I reckon that carefully, with a brush and an acetone-soaked rag to remove unwanted paint before it sets
is the only way to go.

Hi Robert,
powder coating will cover the mag wheels' polished rims and spoke edges, as will spraying them with POR15 or other sturdy coating.
If you are OK with this, fine.
If you want to preserve the shiny bits I reckon that carefully, with a brush and an acetone-soaked rag to remove unwanted paint before it sets
is the only way to go.

Thanks for the response. I am aware that I will be losing the exposed aluminum portion of the wheels, which is actually what I'm going for. Really just wondering if others have gone the painted route and how well it worked for them.

Going for something similar to this.
IMG_2401.jpg

I have used Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel with good luck. I have also heard of others using appliance epoxy before that is pretty durable, but have not tried it myself. The advantage of painting over powder is that you can touch them up if needed down the road. Touching up powder coat is not as easy i believe.

I have used Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel with good luck. I have also heard of others using appliance epoxy before that is pretty durable, but have not tried it myself. The advantage of painting over powder is that you can touch them up if needed down the road. Touching up powder coat is not as easy i believe.

Yes, I was looking at the same product and Duplicolor's offering as well. I figure if you do it after the tire is already mounted it should hold up pretty well.

I saw a trick once where the tire was mounted but not fully inflated when they painted. They used index cards to stick between the rim and tire to protect from overspray. I masked the polished lip on mine and painted the rest, so I did not have those issues. Obviously, the key to good results is clean clean and clean your prepwork.

I use a good degreaser then scuff the surface to be painted with a red Scotch-Brite then mask any surface that is not to be painted. Be sure to use a etch primer or adhesion promoter first. If you are going to outline the non painted surface with a fine line tape do this last so the tape can be pulled right after the last coat while the paint is wet so it doesn`t leave a jagged edge between the painted and nonpainted surfaces. Fold the end of the outline tape to make a tab you can easily get a hold of it. Then clean up any residue or overspray with a damp acetone or lacquer thinner cloth. Try to do this before the paint takes a "set". Use a respirator!!!
front wheel 007.JPG front wheel 013.JPG front wheel 008.JPG

I hate to even own up to this method but I was desperate to get these done. The wheel was all black and didn`t match the back so I put it in the vice, found a old electric motor and a mover deck belt. Spun this and held various abrasives up to the edge and polished it so it would match the rear. I painted it with a gray hammered finish (like everything else I paint) and did the rotors with a lighter silver gray. A very crude method but it worked.:shrug:
mod build 001.JPG front wheel 002.JPG front wheel 005.JPG front wheel 006.JPG front wheel 007.JPG front wheel 012.JPG front wheel 014.JPG front wheel 016.JPG

I hate to even own up to this method but I was desperate to get these done. The wheel was all black and didn`t match the back so I put it in the vice, found a old electric motor and a mover deck belt. Spun this and held various abrasives up to the edge and polished it so it would match the rear. I painted it with a gray hammered finish (like everything else I paint) and did the rotors with a lighter silver gray. A very crude method but it worked.:shrug:
View attachment 116220 View attachment 116221 View attachment 116222 View attachment 116223 View attachment 116224 View attachment 116225 View attachment 116226 View attachment 116227

Awesome work!

Just curious, what front end are you running there?

Thanks. The front end is a 2003-4 GSXR 1000 with a Buell front fender. The stock upper trees are drilled for regular bar clamps. All balls makes a bearing kit for this but you have to shave off the bottom lip on the XS650 lower neck so the lower tree will clear.
XS`s 027-002.JPG

Thanks. The front end is a 2003-4 GSXR 1000 with a Buell front fender. The stock upper trees are drilled for regular bar clamps. All balls makes a bearing kit for this but you have to shave off the bottom lip on the XS650 lower neck so the lower tree will clear.
View attachment 116235

Looks great!

I just recently came across a GSXR front end somewhat locally to me and have been looking at the Cognito Moto stem and top tree with bar clamps.

The biggest issue is I would like to run stock wheels with it but that seems like a bit of a chore....

I used plasti dip. Black base dip and followed it up with plasti dip glossifier. I got everything at Home Depot for around 15.00. I've changed the color a few times on my wheels and finally settled with black. Great thing is if you don't like the color just peel it off, I've got over 1000 miles on mine with no issues. I use brake dust pro and a pressure washer to clean them. My tank and side covers are plasti dipped too because I can't decide on a color yet lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 285
I used plasti dip. Black base dip and followed it up with plasti dip glossifier. I got everything at Home Depot for around 15.00. I've changed the color a few times on my wheels and finally settled with black. Great thing is if you don't like the color just peel it off, I've got over 1000 miles on mine with no issues. I use brake dust pro and a pressure washer to clean them. My tank and side covers are plasti dipped too because I can't decide on a color yet lol.

That looks great. I wasn't aware plasti-dip would hold up to a pressure washer, good to know.

That looks great. I wasn't aware plasti-dip would hold up to a pressure washer, good to know.
As long as you prep the surface correctly it sticks like crazy. Check out dipyourcar.com, it really is awesome stuff if used the right way. Dip your car also has a YouTube channel with all kinds of tutorials, I've even dipped my cars and my friends cars. I'm getting ready to do a rusty looking dip job on my tank using dip, iron dust and rust activator, the dip will be what holds the iron dust to the tank and also keeps the rust from actually getting to the metal on my tank.

As long as you prep the surface correctly it sticks like crazy. Check out dipyourcar.com, it really is awesome stuff if used the right way. Dip your car also has a YouTube channel with all kinds of tutorials, I've even dipped my cars and my friends cars. I'm getting ready to do a rusty looking dip job on my tank using dip, iron dust and rust activator, the dip will be what holds the iron dust to the tank and also keeps the rust from actually getting to the metal on my tank.

I was thinking about painting my wheels in a color similar to your tank. Maybe I should looks closer at the Plasti-Dip.

Can't wait to see how your tank turns out!

You don't need to use any primer with enamel. I use Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel on rotors, wheels, frames, brake calipers, battery boxes, swing arms, stands etc. Over time (full cure) it is a hard durable finish. I have cured it in a low temp electric oven before with great results.

Scott

You don't need to use any primer with enamel. I use Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel on rotors, wheels, frames, brake calipers, battery boxes, swing arms, stands etc. Over time (full cure) it is a hard durable finish. I have cured it in a low temp electric oven before with great results.

Scott

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the response. I am aware that I will be losing the exposed aluminum portion of the wheels, which is actually what I'm going for. Really just wondering if others have gone the painted route and how well it worked for them.

Going for something similar to this.
IMG_2401.jpg

Keep in mind this bike looks like it has two 19" wheels instead of the (likely) 16/19 combo your bike has.

Back