Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Painting in a thunderstorm....
3 coats base
3 coats candy
3 coats clear
Good thing is all tornado watches around me have expired... whew.. :)

View attachment 210710

View attachment 210711

Any guesses on the color?
Shining an LED light on it makes it look blueish....

View attachment 210712

Guess we'll need some sunlight for the big reveal.... :sneaky:
Oh My George Takai GIF

Looks great. What clear are you using?
Sometimes the Sherwin Williams Finish1 and sometimes AutoBahn Glamour Clear.
Mostly just depends on what I have on hand at the time. For some reason I have both right now... :umm:

1648655115519.png

Sometimes the Sherwin Williams Finish1 and sometimes AutoBahn Glamour Clear.
Mostly just depends on what I have on hand at the time. For some reason I have both right now... :umm:

View attachment 210761
I'm a PPG guy myself, but in all honesty, much like modern motor oils, most all of it's waaaaay better than anything we had 50 years ago when I started.

I'm a PPG guy myself, but in all honesty, much like modern motor oils, most all of it's waaaaay better than anything we had 50 years ago when I started.
I have a close friend in the business. He told me just last week the PPG has announced a 10% increase in price to dealers on all products. Bend over!

I have a close friend in the business. He told me just last week the PPG has announced a 10% increase in price to dealers on all products. Bend over!
I've been in the business since I was a kid as my dad owned a body shop. I remember when Sherwin-Williams black acrylic enamel was about $25 a gallon. Last year I painted a '62 Corvette with PPG Base/ Clear and spent just under $2k for sealer, color and clear. And it's not just PPG, I've watched Evercoat body filler increase by about 25% in the last couple of years. Thank God I've got customers that can afford it.

Started back in the 70's... a gopher at a body shop after school.
Mostly used DuPont Centari back then. Then US Paints and Imron on aircraft. I've used PPG quiet a bit too. Good paint.
Nowadays I'm just a backyard hack doing reasonably good jobs at a reasonably good cost.

Started back in the 70's... a gopher at a body shop after school.
Mostly used DuPont Centari back then. Then US Paints and Imron on aircraft. I've used PPG quiet a bit too. Good paint.
Nowadays I'm just a backyard hack doing reasonably good jobs at a reasonably good cost.
My path, from age 12 was do-boy in my dads body shop, started with S-W acrylic enamel, then PPG acrylic enamel, then DuPont and back to PPG. Have you had the chance to shoot PPG's Global clear? It's amazing and amazingly expensive. Easy to w/s and buff a year later. Also, I use Tamco 2K primers. Very affordable and very little shrinkage. You can look them up online. The biggest thing, other than the cost, that chaps my butt. is the piss poor coverage that paint has today. Having said that, I think that today's products are easier to use and much more forgiving than yesterdays paints. BTW, your stuff looks great.

I used to paint fleet trucks for a lumber company in the 70’s. We used Imron, that paint was hard as nails, those trucks took a beating and that paint never lost its shine.
It is a good product. It has changed a lot since then. Some of their fleet paints require a pressure pot set up now.

Thanks.
Last time I shot PPG clear was well over 20yrs ago... not sure what it was called. I agree about coverage and yeah... the stuff nowadays is way more forgiving. I'll check out the Tamco. I'm gettin' low on primers anyway.
Other than the body shop when I was a kid, the only professional painting I did was about 3 yrs on aircraft. Even had a title... "chief painter." ... was only two of us. ;)
Found some old pics the other day. Here's a Huey medivac I painted with Imron. The front said "Angel One" I airbrushed it on.

1648673695377.png

Not a bad shine for aluminum and rivets... if I do say so. ;)

1648673772304.png

First "backyard" job I ever did. Second Mustang I owned...

1648673921687.png

Tank for one of my Norton's. All paint...

Norton Interstate.jpg

Still have the first gun I ever bought. A Binks Model 7. Top of the line back in the day. Cost me about 250 bucks... which was more than a paycheck back then.

1648674244972.png

1648674281990.png

Ain't seen any paint in well over 30 yrs now. Sits on the top shelf in the garage along with the other stuff I'll never use but too stubborn to throw away.

Thanks.
Last time I shot PPG clear was well over 20yrs ago... not sure what it was called. I agree about coverage and yeah... the stuff nowadays is way more forgiving. I'll check out the Tamco. I'm gettin' low on primers anyway.
Other than the body shop when I was a kid, the only professional painting I did was about 3 yrs on aircraft. Even had a title... "chief painter." ... was only two of us. ;)
Found some old pics the other day. Here's a Huey medivac I painted with Imron. The front said "Angel One" I airbrushed it on.

View attachment 210803

Not a bad shine for aluminum and rivets... if I do say so. ;)

View attachment 210804

First "backyard" job I ever did. Second Mustang I owned...

View attachment 210805

Tank for one of my Norton's. All paint...

View attachment 210806

Still have the first gun I ever bought. A Binks Model 7. Top of the line back in the day. Cost me about 250 bucks... which was more than a paycheck back then.

View attachment 210807
View attachment 210808

Ain't seen any paint in well over 30 yrs now. Sits on the top shelf in the garage along with the other stuff I'll never use but too stubborn to throw away.
That's what I learned to spray with! The only aircraft work I've ever done was on a Ratheon Turbo-Prop. Had to spot repair some peeling paint. Nice paint work Jim, and I say that as a car restorer. I know quality when I see it.

Back