Painting whitewall tire tips?

Hi BobbedSled:

I can't say that I know much about painting tires but it is an interesting question. I do know that some classic car guys do this and I searched and found a thread on a car site about it. From a quick read, it appears that the initial look is quite good - but it doesn't last too well. Here is the linky:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...alls-revisited-using-white-tire-paint.469930/

Perhaps on a bike (which has less flexible tires than most cars) it would stand-up better...

Pete

I would like to see wide white walls on my GoldWing at least once, never thought that the price was worth it and white walls are not available in the brand that I use. I go through a lot of tires on that bike, more than 100,000 miles now. Sanding the side wall, using acetone, and cutting with a razor blade........NO THANKS.....I'm paranoid about my side walls without sanding and cutting on them. My brother-in-law just put white walls on his cruiser, but he thought he was buying tires for a lifetime, he'll curse them and call them junk when they need changed, and I'll have to be the one to tell him that they are worn out beyond being safe.

Scott

There was a thread on here, short version; paint don't last AT ALL. Nice look, I've had white walls on cruisers, but it is a PITA.

Last edited:
There was a thread on here, short version; paint don't last AT ALL. Nice look, I've had white walls on cruisers, but it is a PITA.

That seems to be what the cars guys were saying too - it simply doesn't work very well. I wonder how the tire companies did it? They must have come up with some pretty powerful stuff back in the days of wide white-walls.

I actually like the white-wall look on certain cars and bikes, and its just a personal view of course, but the Beauty Police still rule Detroit with goofy stuff that adds nothing to the functionality of the car, but is supposed to attract the hipster crowd (viz. goofy looking spoilers and garish decals sprinkled around on hoods). Really, all it seems to do is create a bit of buzz for a little while and then spend the rest of its miserable existence looking silly, tacky and ill-conceived. Good, simple, tasteful design (as opposed to "styling") is timeless.

Hmmmmmm - which one to choose....

Pete

upload_2017-1-10_10-4-47.jpeg
upload_2017-1-10_10-7-11.jpeg

neither? ;)
My taste ran to these back in the day

d10602fb460e01813b3a698b796e4de6.jpg

but found if you had to drive them much............

REAL white walls are white vulcanized rubber. Rubber was white before they started adding carbon to extend life and reduce cost.

Ah, Pete, I had three of those '68 Chevelles, all with the SS hoods, small blocks, turbo-glides with B+M shift kits, JR headers (family). The Chevelles look much better with that lower trim removed and two tone paint, roof and body. Corvette colors were very popular. Their weight and wheelbase were great on curves, break the back wheels loose and steer around the curve, just like flat tracking but on the pavement.

Scott

Nothing was as awesome stylingwise as the Pontiac Aztec lol. How can that even be explained....

Ok now ive seen white walls on the rear and blackwall on the front. Never really seen black rear and whitewall front.

Any idea why? I could do black whitewall front only but never seeing it i wonder why it is avoided as opposed to whitewall rear only.

I think if you see one white wall on the front.......the guy is still waiting for the shipment of the rear whitewall.

Scott

Last edited:
Nothing was as awesome stylingwise as the Pontiac Aztec lol. How can that even be explained....

Ok now ive seen white walls on the rear and blackwall on the front. Never really seen black rear and whitewall front.

Any idea why? I could do black whitewall front only but never seeing it i wonder why it is avoided as opposed to whitewall rear only.

....not by anyone who has all their marbles....

Peter

Back