Pamco advance rod pin too long

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was installing my new pamco with advance rod and found the locating pin on the magnet end of the rod too long and the magnet can't slide over it to locate and be able to put the nut on. I have tried to squeeze the pin further in but it won't budge. Tomorrow I am going to grind it a bit shorter and that should do it but not happy it is too long in the first place. Manufacture fault, poor quality control? Or am I doing something wrong?

Did you get the advance rod and pins from Mikes or are they OEM? If from mikes I would say probably poor QC from their MFG in china. If it is just a little long and you are sure it is fully seated in the advance rod it won't hurt anything to file/grind it to the correct length just make sure to remove only enough material to allow the Pamco rotor to go on and not any more than that. It may take a couple times of removing just a very small amount and test fintting to get it just right.

I think the Pamco has the slot for the pin cut to minimal dimensions. The stock or aftermarket pins are cut to the middle of the spec.
I had the same issue. No problem to grind a bit off the pin.
Leo

Yeah, like Leo said check that pin to slot match up. I just installed mine last week and I had to file down on the pin on the rod to make it all fit correctly.

Not too jack this thread, but it's too close I would feel guilty making a new thread... I was trying to put my advance assembly and my pin was too wide for the slot and it's from mikes xs. Any suggestions?

Grinded a bit off the pin and fits like a champ. Captain, mine was the pin on the advance rod that comes already pressed into the rod. My width was fine but just a tad long. Either you could take a little off the pin or get a small file to widen the slot in the magnet. Seems like very poor quality control with these parts. The kit also came with a very large washer that I guessed went on the magnet end and then the spring washer and nut but wasn't mentioned or pictured in the instructions on the website. I can't see anywhere else it could possibly go so will see if it affects the magnet when I get it running otherwise I will remove it and ditch it.

gggGary and Greenmachine,

The installation instructions for the E-Advancer did not include instructions for the rotor and big washer. I have revised them accordingly, thanks for the heads up. Please review the revised instructions. You may have to refresh your browser for the changes to be visible. Do not discard the large washer as its purpose is to retain the magnets.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/Installtion of E-Advancer.htm

Back