Pamco Eadvance wiring need help

OldskoolXS650

Obsessed XS650 Owner
Reaction score
I am installing the Pamco with E advance on my 1981 Xs650 I have read the instructions on Pete's site but can't understand everything. I put the new coil on (17-6903) how does the wiring go do I use the original wiring that ran to the coil also. Any help would be appreciated on proper way to wire this up. Thanks
PS I also need to know what to remove after installing Pamco

Where your stock coil was wired into the bikes harness you should have a plug with a red/white wire and an orange wire. The red/white was power to the coil. The orange went to the TCI box.
Use this red/white wire to power the Pamco and new coil. Ignore the orange/white wire.
I would use a female plug in that plugs onto the male prong on the red/white wire. Hook two red wires into the female plug in. Long enough to reach the coil and Pamco.
A crimp on female will work fine, a tiny bit of solder won't hurt. Once assembled plug it on the red/white wire and wrap securely with black tape. Don't want water to get in.
Now hook one of the red wires to the red wire on the Pamco, hook the other red wire to one side of the coil. Hook the green wire from the Pamco to the other side of the coil. Hook the Pamco Black wire to ground
Leo

Alright guys I got the Pamco on and it's working great but I still have a problem. I have checked the cam chain tension and installed new valve adjusters. What is happening is the left cylinder is not firing as good as the right side. I hooked the bike to the manometer I made and I can sync the carbs at idle but when you throttle the bike the manometer raises on the left cylinder and then when you let it idle the manometer levels back out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Alright guys I got the Pamco on and it's working great but I still have a problem. I have checked the cam chain tension and installed new valve adjusters. What is happening is the left cylinder is not firing as good as the right side. I hooked the bike to the manometer I made and I can sync the carbs at idle but when you throttle the bike the manometer raises on the left cylinder and then when you let it idle the manometer levels back out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

The manometer is extremely sensitive. It's quite normal to see the levels change when you change rpm. Just balance at idle, and you're done.

Are both carbs clean inside/ pilot jets clear/float levels set correctly/mixture screws set correctly?

With the Pamco, I doubt the ignition is the problem. As mentioned the carb sync is at idle only, above that it doesn't apply.
Have you checked the compression? It may be a bit low on the left side. If the bike sat very long before you got it running then the rings may be a bit sticky. After the engine runs a bit the compression may come up.
It could be the carbs. Float heights may be off, jets partly plugged. Dirty passages.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Leo

Alright guys I am still having issue and need some help. Im starting to think that I have a different problem. I get the bike running and the right side is still firing harder than left. I have check cam chain tension,replaced valve adjusters and set them,had Oldskool rebuild carbs,install new coil,wires,caps, and plugs and checked compression. The bike acts like when I throttle it that the left side kicks in but at idle you can hear and feel a big difference. I am working on a 1982 with BS34 carbs just for some info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Even if Oldskool carbs did your carbs, crud in your tank or fuel line could have plugged the tiny fuel passages in the carbs as well as the pilot jet.
One thing you can try is to remove the float bowl on the weak side. Remove the idle mix screw. Now put a clean white rag or paper towel under the carb, use a spray can carb cleaner with the tube, spray down in the mix screw hole. This will blow any crud in the pilot out onto the white rag. You can also use a similar technique to check the passages from the pilot to the tiny holes in the carb by the throttle plates, you need to remove the carbs to do this.
Once off, use the carb cleaner to spray into the mix screw. Open the throttle so you can see the tiny holes in the top of the venture by the throttle plates. Spray should come out all three holes.
Leo

Back