Pamco ignition electric start

bucky84

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can I still have my electric start on my 79 xs650 with the pamco ignition if so is there a simplified wiring diagram out there PLEASE HELP

The Pamco ignition is just the ignition. It has nothing to do with the e-start.
If you look in the XS650 TECH section, under the Electrical section, "Some Electrical Diagrams" Look through to find a diagram that has the parts you want to use.
I like diagram #4. It shows a basic points ignition set up. In boxes they have upgrades for the later combo reg/rec and TCI. E-start is in the upper right hand corner.
Leo

The type of battery don't matter as much as it's electrical capacity. The stock battery at 14 amp/hours with around 200 cold cranking amps is about minimum for easy starting under most conditions. Some get away with smaller batteries with less capacity, but I think they don't deal with cold weather.
You can use lead acid, AGM, Lithium, what ever, some of the High tech cost more but are sealed and are smaller and weigh much less.
I use a Ballistic 8 cell battery. Paid $139 for it. It has a 275 cca's and I think 15 A/H's, is about 1/2 the size and weighs 1.7 lbs.
This battery spins my 750 kitted engine fine, even when it's cold out.
Leo

Back