Pamco ignition problems

mikeyBskunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the (14-0901) pamco kit off mikes xs a little wile back and i cannot get it fo fire correctly. I have gone threw the bike settings, (camchain-valves) and i cannot get the timing even close. I have ran a timing light a few times on bolth plug wires and the light is erratic, jumping all over the place. When i would adjust the plate nothing would change. I even turned the plate wile the bike was ideling and still no effect. I also used a spark plug sight glass and the left side (pamco side of engine) is misfireing like crazy. The coils are good, im just thinking it is the pamco itself. What should i do??

Thanks,
Mike

Posted via Mobile

by no means i'm an expert, but your kit came with 1 coil but you typed in "coils" so how many do u have? the pamco works on a wasted spark so that might throu u off becouse if 1 is good the other should be there 2, did u look at your advance unit?is it loobed well springs firm?it sounds more like a carb problem

That or your advance mechanization is all goofed up. Once I had the locating pin fall out and for some reason the bike ran, but very erratic.

mikey,

There have been a few problems similar to yours lately that turned out to be an erratic output from the PMA, so I would suggest that you try wiring the PAMCO directly to an independent battery, just sitting on the floor and see what happens. If you have a PMA setup with battery, then just try disconnecting the regulator or otherwise disabling the PMA and just run on the battery.

k thanks pete, i appreciate the quick responce, i will try this first thing in the morning

Posted via Mobile

pete,
I tried what you suggested with power just going to the Pamco and the bike would not start. it only has spark when the PMA is hooked up

Posted via Mobile

mikey...,

Well, you do need a battery. Do you have a battery installed with the PMA? If not, then just get a spare battery and put it on the floor and hook up the PAMCO red wire to the positive terminal of the battery and ground the negative terminal of the battery to the frame. The PAMCO will not run without power, but unhooking your PMA with a battery should not prevent the ignition from working. If you have a capacitor setup, then of course, you need the PMA to provide the power, but that is exactly why I am suggesting that you try it without the PMA, but with a battery, to see if the PMA is causing the problem.

So, in review: We are trying to see if the PMA is causing your problem. To do so, I suggest that you eliminate the PMA for test purposes, but the PAMCO still needs a source of power, so you need a battery to power the PAMCO.

Last edited:
pete,
I tired again following your instructions carefully and still same results the bike has no spark, because it is much easier to kick

Posted via Mobile

mikey,

OK. Some questions.

1. Do you have a battery conneted to your PMA setup?
2. (or) Do you have a capacitor connected to your PMA setup?
3. Did you try a seperate battery to power the PAMCO? Like, completly seperate from the electrical system on the bike? Sitting on the floor and only connected to the PAMCO red wire and the frame of the bike?

pete
1. I do have a battery
2. No capactor
3. No i didnot try a 2nd battery seperate from the electrical system, I will try that first thing in the morning i have to get to work

Thanks again
Mike

Posted via Mobile

pete,
I hooked up my truck battrey up like you had said, on the floor, red-Pamco to positive Negitive-to frame and it works like it should!! bike revs fine and starts first kick

sooo what now?
Thanks again,
mike

Posted via Mobile

mikey...,

OK. That was the purpose of the test. The engine runs fine without the PMA connected, so your problem is related somehow to your PMA setup and the PAMCO is OK.

Some possibilities:

1. Bad cell in the battery. This could be the problem because you said that it would not spark with the PMA disconnected. It should run on the battery with the PMA disconnected.
2. PMA regulator wired wrong.
3. Poor or no grounds where needed for the PMA and the regulator.

Hugh should be here soon because he does keep an eye on his PMA installations, so he will probably have some more things to suggest. Meanwhile, have your battery load tested and charge it up completely, but do not use a fast charger. No more than 2 Amps from the charger, so it might take overnight if the battery is dead. It's possible that the battery may show a full charge, but still have a bad cell that only shows up when you put a load on it, so that is why you need to have it load tested.

well pete,
Allot has just happend in the past hour. I went and had my battery tested, bad cell. I purchased a new one. browed my neighbors charger (the new battery needed to be charged) the charger i had was only a 40 Amp charger soo i put it on for 10 min. Wile hooking it up i pluged the reg/rec redwire and POOF white smoke!!:doh: i belive i just fryed my reg/rec

Posted via Mobile

mikey.....,

What was the Amp output of the neighbors charger?
You must have then hooked it up to the reg / rect backwards and fried that too, possibly taking the PAMCO with it.

Go back to the truck battery test to see if you still have an ignition system. Disconnect the reg / rect because it may be shorted out.

mikey...,

OK. What did you do wrong that fried the reg / rect? What is the Amp output of the charger you used? Is the new battery still good?

Last edited:
I got my new Reg/Rec in the mail and i went to plug it in and the positive started sparking soo i unhooked it quickly (not wanting to fry this one also) what could be causing this???

Thanks
Mike

Posted via Mobile

mikey....,

You have got to take your time with this problem. Did you leave the battery connected from the last experiment? Is that battery polarity correct? Is it possible that you hooked up the battery with the opposite polarity?

Start putting some thought into each step that you take. Double check everything. Take nothing for granted. There is a reason that your previous reg / rect went up in smoke and the reason is still there. So, taking a new reg /rect out of the box and immediately plugging into the same setup that fried the previous reg / rect is going to fry the new one as well.

Back