pamco ignition system coils and does it matter which spark plug wires go where?

Ron Wandler

Ron Wandler
Reaction score
I have installed the new PAMCO Ignition and Charging system on my 1977 XS650D.
Does it matter which spark plug wire goes to which cylinder, and if so how do you make that determination. Am I correct in concluding that it does not matter, as I am sure PAMCO would have covered this issue more clearly. The system I have installed is the PMA/PAMCO Package, containing one PMA unit (200 Watt), Basic PAMCO Electronic Ignition with E-Advancer and Ignition Coil kit.

If it is a "wasted spark" set up then no. Basically with that each plug fires at the same time with only one coming up to TDC (hence wasted spark)
To check, ground the two plugs to the block and kick over. You'll soon see if they spark together or alternately.

I am a Boyer person but I'm sure that a Pamco expert will be along shortly to clarify :)

The way you said "a Pamco ignition and charging system" would lead someone to think Pamco builds a charging system. Just to clarify you have a Pamco ignition and an XS Charge PMA.
Now as to your question Paul answered it correctly. I might add that on the primary side wires of the coil, they can be wired to either terminal on the coil. Power to one side the Pamco to the other, the coil is not polarity sensitive.
Leo

Back