PAMCO ignition toggle switch Q:

ZeroDistortionNow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, so with the PAMCO ignition, I am going to use a key switch and a toggle switch. My plan is to turn the key switch on and then flip a hidden toggle switch before the "Scrappy" can be started..

I have a 2 position toggle switch that has 6 spade terminals on the back.

This will allow me to supply power from the battery to the key switch.. through my fuse.. then through the toggle.. and on to my power supply wire on the pamco.

Then, when I want to turn the ignition off, the toggle allows me to not only cut the 12+ VDC from the battery but also grounds the circuit via one of the other spades on the toggle.

My question is this...
Will this be an acceptable means of "killing" it? WIll it damage the pamco when power is cut off and then grounded? Will the micro second of time between toggled from + to - be enough?

Or should the toggle just be able to remove the power supply?

thanks in advance..

ZeroD

I have keyless ignition and a hidden toggle for the pamco. A simple two terminal toggle switch on the red wire works great, no need for anything else.

No key at all except for the gas tank of course. I use my kill switch with a relay to turn the system on/off and a hidden toggle for the ignition only.

if i understand you want to aply ground on the (+) of the Pamco? when it's off throu the switch???... just removing (+) throu switch, will kill it

Ok.. thanks! So I don't need the circuit to ground then.. cool. The main reason I asked is because I read somewhere that we shouldn't disconnect the battery while the bike is running and thought that the open circuit on the toggle switch when flipped to the off position would be the same as disconnecting the battery.

and..keep the ing. of coils and the Pamco together (the switch shuts both off) and if you want even better put a relay on the ing.system so your key and switch turn on the relay this way you are getting the best juice to ing. system from batt. not throu a 30+ key switch (unless it's new)

if i understand you want to aply ground on the (+) of the Pamco? when it's off throu the switch???... just removing (+) throu switch, will kill it

So you basically just put an on/off toggle switch on the hot wire that runs to the pamco, is that right? That will effectively kill the bike, but power is still on the bike through the main key switch (lights still work). I've heard you should have a 7.5 amp fuse on this line to the pamco does it matter if the switch is on the battery side of the fuse, or after the fuse towards the pamco?

rule of thum always fuse as close to your power source as posible for anything including the Pamco that way everthing is protected including the wires and switch (from shorts)

Power from the main switch to your toggle switch to BOTH the Pamco and coil. If you kill just the Pamco you still have power to the coil. Not a good thing. I don't know for sure if the Pamco can still allow power to flow through the coil when no power is appled to the Pamco or not. If it can then the coil can stay powered untill you shut off the key.
Better that you shut the power off to both the Pamco and coil, better safe than sorry.
Leo

Back