pamco input

stevec8831

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to get some input from my follow members on the pamco. I have a 1971 xs650 that I am currently working on. The bike ran fine before I started my project. I'm getting close to the end of my fab work and looking to start on my engine improvements. I'm thinking of spending the money for the HHB PMA and also the extra cash for the Ultimate Pamco High Output Ignition Kit + New E-Advancer through MikesXS. If anyone has this setup on their bike for a little while please share you're pros and cons. Any input, good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Complete upgrade on a `71? I'll be watching.

I understand that the copper cup replacement for the mech advance has been changed to aluminum. Haven't heard much feedback on that...

Get the PMA working right with points before installing the Pamco. Many have been thrashed that way.
Don't have a PMA, but my E-advance Pamco is the best thing I could have done with the bike for reliability.

I agree whole heartedly with jd750. A PMA with regulation issues can and will give voltages as high as 20 volts. These may be just voltage spikes or a more constant output. Either way electronic devices such as the Pamco, even with protective devices incorporated, can damage them.
Get the PMA and run it on the bike for awhile to ensure proper function before you install the Pamco.
The E-advancer Pamco in my 75 runs great. I had points, did the single lobe points cam, did the original Pamco and now have the E-advancer. Smoother and stronger than ever.
Leo

I have the exact setup you're contemplating. I managed to get 250 miles or so out of it before the Pamco sh#t the bed. It may well have been caused by issues with my PMA - I don't know for sure though because I saw no mention of potential issues until after everything died.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people including myself with thousands of trouble free miles using a pamco ignition. Never any issues with customer service either.

I have the exact setup you're contemplating. I managed to get 250 miles or so out of it before the Pamco sh#t the bed. It may well have been caused by issues with my PMA - I don't know for sure though because I saw no mention of potential issues until after everything died. That, and I've been waiting more than a week with no response whatsoever to an email and a PM send to Pamco Pete.

So yeah, I'm just basically left guessing and working to scrounge info on the matter from forums. Say, does anyone know anything about fixing a Pamco, so that I can get my bike back up and running? I chafe at the idea of sending more money to someone who doesn't even care enough to send me so much as a "piss off" in response to my emails.
And if you are having issues start a thread with specifics about the bike/problem and I'm sure you'll get some help.

To clarify: I am not suggesting that Pete doesn't make a good product, his ignitions are all over the place and there's got to be a good reason for that. I am just a bit frustrated that I'm dead in the water at the moment - should I explore other options? Should I buy another Pamco? Can this one be fixed?

I have posted a thread - although I did post in on another bike builder type site that goes by CC. I got some decent suggestions, but when I went through the troubleshooting steps suggested by Pete: http://www.yamahaxs650.com/testing_the_pamco_and_coil.htm

I got no spark on the Pamco portion and figured I'd located the culprit. Is my assumption premature?

Regardless, I can start a thread here, I just wanted to clarify that I have solicited input on another forum and that I am not attempting to bash Pete, I simply don't know how to proceed when I get no response.

I stumbled on this thread while searching for info and figured I'd chime in.

Thanks for all the input. But now I guess it is something I am going to just make my own mind up on. Before making this post I was pretty sure I was going to move forward with the PMA & the Pamco set up. But now I'm considering just keeping what I got and just fine tuning it a bit. The bike ran pretty good before I started my build. It just took a few kicks to get her going. I kept seeing people posting about running the PMA/Pamco set up and always having their bike start on the first or second kick. Anyway, Guess I'll just have to get off the fence and decide. Again thanks to all for taking the time to post. :thumbsup: :bike:

Yeah if it runs and charges fine you've got nothin to worry about now, but at some point you might have an issue. And to reiterate what was said, mine starts first kick every time,even in 20degree weather, with a pamco and pma.

steeve8831, The start first kick is not so much the PMA and Pamco as having the bike properly tuned. My bike even before the Pamco was a one or two kick bike.
Before you jump into modding get what you have properly tuned.
The main reason for the Pamco is to make tune ups easier. Points can be a real PITA.
Pinned, the PMA burning up the Pamco has been around almost as long as the PMA swaps became popular. If you never heard of it then you did research well.
There have been many threads and posts talking about just this thing.
After you install the Pamco Get it running on a spare battery that is just hooked to the Pamco. With the PMA hooked to the rest of the bikes electrical test the PMA output. If it's ok then hook the Pamco to the bikes electrical system.
With a PMA of it has reg problems it can send out voltage spikes upto 20 volts to the system. This can damage the Pamco. Even the new Pamco with E-advancer that has a voltage protection circuit it can still burn up if the PMA continues to put out an excessively high voltage.
I'm not sure why Pete is not responding as well as usual. I have had questions go unanswered myself. very frustrating.
Leo

I realize that the OP has basically finished with this thread, but based on comments made earlier (and since deleted), I wanted to give an update to say that Pete contacted me and shipped me out a replacement for the Pamco that was (presumably) fried by my bike. I will be testing my PMA's output tomorrow.

XSLeo - I am still in the process of searching but if you happen to see this, can you tell me if I should be testing the PMA output at my capacitor? Also, at what point is voltage considered "too high"?

Thanks in advance.

Back