Pamco Install question

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
So, I've been reading everything I can in preparation of installing my Pamco kit. This is one I didn't seem to run across. First off, this is a 1980, so TCI from the factory. The locating pin that's installed on the right side seems to be pressing against the seal. Is this normal? Do I need to adjust something else to gain clearance? Thanks, and I sure home someone is up on a Saturday morning that can help.

Kent

Attachments

• SDC12940.jpg
    SDC12940.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 100
  • SDC12942.jpg
    SDC12942.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 100
  • SDC12941.jpg
    SDC12941.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 83
kva...,

kva...Read this again because I did some editing after taking a closer look at your pics. I think the seal may be installed backwards.

It looks like a PO has replaced the seal and did not press it in far enough, or it is in backwards.

In fact, now that I have taken a closer look at your pics, it does look like it is installed backwards because the recess is there, but the lip of the seal is protruding. Is there any evidence that the seal was changed? Like, are the screw heads marked up? Fresh gasket?

Here is a pic of the front and back. Notice the recess on the front and the flush mounting on the rear:

pointshousing2.jpg

pointshousing1.jpg

You could try just tapping it in, but then you don't know how far to go unless you look at the back, so I would replace it because it might be the wrong part or it is in backwards.

Here is a pic showing the pin and advance plate:

atu3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, for the quick morning reply, Pete! Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot. It may be the wrong seal, but for now I've rolled that edge in along the cam. There's some kind of red sealant on that cover (Hi-Temp RTV?) so I'm assuming it's been off before. Thanks again!

Kent

Attachments

• SDC12946.jpg
    SDC12946.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 73
  • SDC12947.jpg
    SDC12947.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 80
OK, so I was posting while you were editing. I pulled the cover to see what's going on. It looks like a double edge seal. Markings are definitely on the outward facing side, so if it is the wrong seal, it's at least installed in the right direction. Markings on the seal show "NAK TC 25 40 8 2" around the face. There wasn't any leaking from this seal either.

Kent

Attachments

• SDC12950.jpg
    SDC12950.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 77
  • SDC12949.jpg
    SDC12949.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 74
Here are some pics of seals on my bike. There are several lips but one has the wire spring backing the lips..............that one is at inner side of the seal. Also important that the seal is positioned at the back of the housing. I used three bond 1104 sealant when the seal was installed in the housing.

Attachments

• Advancer shaft shim for Pamco.JPG
    Advancer shaft shim for Pamco.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 104
  • Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    Cam Housing mod1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 121
Those pics are very helpful! Hope you didn't go out and take those on my account. You know how you tend to "find things" on these bikes as you go along? :laugh: I've just added 2 new seals and two new gaskets to my shopping list. It should work as-is for now, but next time I place an order I'll change them all out and clean things up a bit. Thanks again!

Kent

OK, after looking again at yours, I see a small problem. Whoever last install the camshaft and camshaft bearings did not centre the camshaft/camshaft bearings in the head. Your camshaft/bearings are too far to the left side.

That also means the camshaft gear and crank gear are not perfectly alined so not the best for wear on the gears and chain. Those PO's should be tarred and feathered HaHa!

That red looks like some crap sealant.................should only use three bond 1104.

Attachments

• Camshaft mod1.JPG
    Camshaft mod1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 94
Um, crap?! Am I in real trouble here? Do I need to pull the head? I sure wasn't looking to dig in this far this season. I was thinking a full tear down next winter, but not now. I'm open to suggestions here.

Kent

I'd say your engine is fine for now. With the camshaft slightly off centre, it may cause more wear on gears and chain as I mentioned (possibly more wear on front camchain guide and the camchain tensioner)..................but that could take years to show up. If the large pin rubs on the seal lips, it could cause wear there as well.

When re-installing camshaft and bearings, its important that they be carefully centred, but I guess not everyone is aware of that.

Was there a gasket on the housing or just that silicone? If the gasket was missing, that could be adding to the problem. The bearings need to be inset into the head equal distance on each side for the cam to be centered. That also allows the step on the back of the little housings to fit into the head. If yours was offset to the left, the points housing probably wouldn't fit in tight enough to seal up.

when i slapped my top end back to gether i couldn't even get the points cover back in place cuz the bearing was so far out. i suppose its easy to overlook the first time you do it.

You can center the bearings and cam without taking the head off.
Loosen the 8 big nuts. This relieves the pressure on the bearings.
Use a socket or piece of pipe that fits the bearing race on the cam. Tap with a hammer till the bearings push the cam sideways. Now do the same from the other side. This gets the bearings tight on the cam.
Now just measure the amount the bearings are set back into the rocker box. Get them even.
Retorque the 8 big nuts.
Leo

Back