Pamco Installation

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I installed a Pamco kit yesterday on my 78 Standard. Apart from mounting the coil, it was pretty easy and the instructions were clear. I got the kit from Mikes and it included the Pamco ignition as well as plug wires, plugs and caps. There were a couple of extra pieces of hardware included that weren't needed. I double checked that I didn't miss anything during the install.

It is unfortunate (in my mind) that that particular coil is required. Mounting it is not trivial. I don't have it permanently mounted yet, just attached with heavy zip ties to the forward mounting holes for the original coils. I went to Home Depot and bought the clamps recommended, but I didn't see any way to use them without grinding off the existing coil mounting plates. I don't have those kinds of tools. My machinist friend is coming by next week to see if he can contribute anything. I think possibly a mounting plate where the horn mount attaches may be easiest.

The good news is that it worked perfectly. I made sure I had a good frame ground by using a wire wheel where I attached the connector. I crimped connectors on to the red, green and black wires, connected everything and it fired right up.

It definitely runs better. It will rev to red line much easier now and at freeway speeds it will accelerate from 60 more briskly. Most interesting was that the bike seems much quieter at idle. Not sure what that is, but I'll take it.

I have a second bike to do and now that I've done it once, the second one will take less than an hour, start to finish. It really is pretty easy in spite of the odd coil.

During the installation, I noticed that both my petcock vacuum lines were split so I replaced those, also.

I still need to finalize the coil mounting and clean up some wiring, but the Pamco gets a thumbs up from me.

Pckopp,

Well, welcome to the PAMCO club! there are various suggested ways to mount the coil illustrated on the web site. A simple bracket with 4 holes can be installed on one of the existing coil brackets.

Don't wait too long before mounting the coil as it uses the mounting bracket as a heat sink and path for heat to the frame.

This is what I did with the ultimate coil:

No0pXh.png

N0GMVh.png

I just used some standoffs with jamb nuts to keep it from vibrating loose; and a short piece of steel bar with four holes drilled in it. Drill two large holes for the horn mount bolts and two small holes to mount the coil. Putting it directly behind the horn means no additional airflow is blocked to the motor.

I don't have a recent picture, but I added a plastic cabling sleeve to give the wires some protection and clean up the looks.

I just used some standoffs with jamb nuts to keep it from vibrating loose; and a short piece of steel bar with four holes drilled in it. Drill two large holes for the horn mount bolts and two small holes to mount the coil. Putting it directly behind the horn means no additional airflow is blocked to the motor.

Great minds! That is exactly what I plan for my Special. Conveniently, the horn is out of the way. On my Standard, the horn is in the way and I think the easiest way is to find a Special horn mount bracket. Looks good to me.

I don't have a recent picture, but I added a plastic cabling sleeve to give the wires some protection and clean up the looks.

I hope to find some 90degree connectors to tuck it all in more closely.

Nice job. Mr Pamco should add these photos to his coil mounting page.

I mounted my Accel coil in front of the engine, 6 years ago, and that location has worked very well. The horn has been moved upward to allow full airflow onto the coil. My Accel coil runs cool, and does not require the heat sink connection from the steel core to the bike frame.

Attachments

• IMG_6223 R1.JPG
    IMG_6223 R1.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 130
I mounted my Accel coil in front of the engine, 6 years ago, and that location has worked very well. The horn has been moved upward to allow full airflow onto the coil. My Accel coil runs cool, and does not require the heat sink connection from the steel core to the bike frame.

Nice coil mounting on a beautiful bike.

I want those brakes!

Back