pamco no spark question

demonic1783

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 xs650 and i'm trying to get spark. coil is good and I have power to the coil. when I was troubleshooting I was getting ohms between the green and red wires coming from the timing plate. is this normal. seems to be an issue to me but wanted to double check with someone who nows more about this system

I have a 1981 xs650 and i'm trying to get spark. coil is good and I have power to the coil. when I was troubleshooting I was getting ohms between the green and red wires coming from the timing plate. is this normal. seems to be an issue to me but wanted to double check with someone who nows more about this system

What you are doing is not the correct way to test a Pamco. Pamcopete has supplied a functional test procedure on his web site.
Here's the link:
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installation.htm

Just taking random readings will just confuse the issue. That's true on any system.
Follow the install instructions to get the wiring right. You should get good voltage too the coil and Pamco.
The Pamco works very similar to points. Points just turn the power flow through the coil on/off. The Pamco does this by using transistors. The magnets in the rotor turn the hall effect transistor on and off.
When on, the Hall effect transistor is on, it sends a signal to the main power transistor. This signal turns the main power transistor on so power can flow through the coil. As the next magnet passes the hall effect transistor it turns off.
There is a few more parts for circuit protection.
Now if you have everything wired right doing the test on Pete's ignition site will help you determine just what maybe wrong.
Is the coil a new one that came part of a kit? And what tests did you use to determine it is good?
Leo

not really taking random test. I'm a pro motorcycle tech so I have a good idea what i'm looking for... I did test the coil. I got 4.5 ohms on the primary side and 26 k ohms on the secondary a little higher than I would like to see but not terrible. I will check the test on the link above and see what my test results are.

Back