Pamco Question

That sounds like the answer right there - a light dressing of both ends of the cam with a file. You probably only need to generate a few more thousandths worth of play. In fact, a medium or coarse Roloc disc in a die grinder would probably fix you up in a jiffy.

It is a common issue with the later camshafts for the TCI motors that the through hole that the bushings goes into is not finish machined and it is known that ther is the possibility that the end of the camshaft can split if it has been left too tight from manufacturing so the thought that the ends of the cams were not finish machined is quite possible. Where did you get your advance rod from? Was it an OEM part or was it from Mikesxs.net?

I ended up finding the perfect sized shim for it in my box-o-random-bolts so I thankfully didn't have to resort to sanding down the ends of the camshaft. Now its all tightened up and advance moves freely. Thanks everyone for their help and idea's.

It was a complete Pamco set up (14-0902) with the advance system from XS650direct.com (Canada's MikesXS)

It very could have been that the advance rod that is included in that kit was poorly machined. Sounds like you got it all sorted. Well done.

One easy way to make shims to fit is get several washers the right thickness, put them on a bolt. tighten a nut down to hold the washers. Put the end of the bolt in a drill, use the drill to spin the washers against a grinding wheel.
Grind the outer edge of the washers till they fit inside the cam.
For really thin washers use a set of hole punches to punch washers out of adult beverage cans.
Leo

Back