Pamco Setup

GBGRIDER

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if it made a difference which side you put the pamco setup on. I know it says the left side but I would like to put it on the right. Any advice?

because my left side cam seal is leaking a little oil so i dont want to get the electronics soak with oil.

Easier to replace the cam seal than make all the necessary changes to put ignition on right side.If left seal is leaking i would change them both

Ok , so the Pamco normally spins CCW. If its put on the right side, it will spin CW. I think that would give you 5 gears in reverse and 1 gear forward..................nope, don't do that:D

If you just have a slight weep, you may be able to fix it without replacing the seal. Remove the housing and buff the end of the cam where the seal rides with a Scotch Brite pad. Get it all clean and shiny. I've fixed minor leaks this way without seal replacement.

GBGRIDER,

When you replace the points housing gasket, use the correct thickness to maintain the clearance between the PAMCO rotor and the PC board. That's not to say that the clearance is critical, because it is not, but the rotor will contact the mounting screw for the PC board if the gasket is too thick.

Of course, if you want to take the quick and easy route, just swap the housings.

hi its dead easy to replace the leaking seal,,,,, i did 1 and also got a spare,,,, they are cheap to do,,, and quick to do ,,,regards oldbiker

Thats what I was going to mention. With the Pamco on the right, that puts the advance on the left. Will the advance work spinning backwards?
Leo

Let me clarify. I suggested swapping the housings to transfer the leak to the right side. Meaning

1. You remove both housings.
2. Install the right side housing on the left.
3. Install the left side housing on the right.
4. The PAMCO stays on the left.
5. The Advance mechanism stays on the right.

This procedure will move the leaking seal to the right side where it will be less harmful.

Back