Pamco spark plug choice

I have the Pamco with the green monster coil and run AC63 plugs gapped at .038. I tried the NGK iridium plugs but they didn't improve things over the AC plugs to be worth the cost. I get them at Wal Mart for about $5 a pair.
Leo

XSLeo, that's a good price, but don't the AC plugs use the smaller 5/8" socket size? Please let me know.
I get the NGK BP7ES plugs for $6 a pair at Advance Auto Parts, and they use the 13/16" plug wrench that comes in the original tool kit. I know some of those tool kit spark plug wrenches are double-sided, but mine only has the 13/16" size.

The Mikes Pamco Ultimate kits come with resistor type plugs. Mind you they also come with resistor caps. I use BPR7ES. What would be the difference in running a non resistor plug like the BP7ES. Shorter spark? Pete?

wherearewe,

There is a misconception that resistor plugs and / or caps will lengthen the spark duration because the resistance will delay the decay of the magnetic field that produces the spark in the first place. What actually happens is that the resistance reduces the available voltage across the spark plug gap so the arc loses sufficient voltage to maintain the arc sooner, so the resistance shortens the duration of the spark. :confused:

However, in a very convoluted theory, having too much current in the arc reduces the resistance of the arc itself and hence the power, or heat of the arc, so some resistance actually causes a hotter spark albeit with a shorter duration. :doh: :wtf: Kinda like life itself. You can have a hot time or you can have a long time, but you can't have both...:D

You can run both a resistor cap and a resistor plug if you have a coil with sufficient output voltage, like the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil, but a lesser coil, like the 17-6822 should have either resistor caps or resistor plugs but not both. :banghead:

I run Autolite #63's with resistor caps and the 17-6903 coil. The #63's are resistor plugs. There are a number of reasons for this choice:

1. Autolites are high quality.
2. Autolites are cheap. See #1 above. Sometimes on sale for $0.99 .
3. The 17-6903 coil has more than enough voltage to run both resistor caps and plugs.
4. Just changing your plugs will give you 1 or 2 horsepower and a smoother idle because the plugs are new, so I change mine often and need a cheap, high quality plug.
5. The extra resistance prolongs the life of the coil because it will run cooler.
6. The plug will also run cooler, prolonging its life, even though I change them often.
7. I have a spark plug fetish going back to the days when I couldn't afford new plugs for my 1949 Chevy straight six and had to clean the plugs with a sand blaster until the electrodes were worn off. Now, I just love it when the Autolites are on sale!

I run Autolite #63's with resistor caps and the 17-6903 coil. The #63's are resistor plugs. There are a number of reasons for this choice:

Thats a hotter plug than recommended? I dont think autolites are readily available my way, so i cross referenced out of interest and thats equivalent to BPR6ES.

I just went out to check my plugs just to be sure, they are Autolite AP63. Been a few years and misremembered things. These I get from WalMart. The price may be up from the price I quoted, it has been a couple years since I bought a set.
They are a standard 13/16 plug, with a removable end where the cap plugs on. They have a platinum tip on the center electrode. Autolite also make a DP series plug, platinum tips on both the center and ground electrodes. Just have not found one to replace the AP63.
On the Iridium plugs, the difference in Mike's prices of his kits, without the plugs vs with the plugs is about $21. I can get the plugs at Advanced Auto for $7.95 each. A savings of about $6.
As I said they didn't work enough better in my bike to be worth the extra cost. They may in yours.
Leo

Second Autolite 63's, they are the best plug I have tried yet, they run a nice smooth tan color and I could not get any of my ngk's to not have carbon build on them

XSLeo, thanks for the size clarification.

Yesterday I was at Advance Auto and I bought NGK BP7ES plugs for $2.09 each before tax. I couldn't believe how cheap they were, and I commented on it. This appears to be their standard, non-sale price. I had remembered the Advance Auto price being $2.99, but either I remembered wrong, or they lowered the price. Anyways, $2.09 is a great price, I have checked around a lot, other places charge twice as much.

Second Autolite 63's, they are the best plug I have tried yet, they run a nice smooth tan color and I could not get any of my ngk's to not have carbon build on them
Might be because the 63 is a hotter plug than the BP7ES (and hotter than spec.).

The Autolite 63 cross references to a BP6ES.
The Autolite 62 is the correct cross-referenced plug for the BP7ES.
BP6ES is hotter than BP7ES,
Autolite 63 is hotter than Autolite 62.

The Autolite #62 is hard to find. The #63 is available in most auto supply stores. I also get a nice tan color on the porcelain, so it is probably 1/2 a plug hotter. Cross reference tables are not exact. The Autolite is also a copper core which dissipates the heat more evenly over the entire length of the plug.

You should use bp7es. No reason in the world to change. Except I have one heat range hotter now, until it gets above 30F and stays there.

Back