Paramun - build thread

Ristis

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have been reading forum from some time, decided to start a new thread and this is my first post here. Let me introduce myself - my name is Hristo, 35, I am from Bulgaria - Eastern Europe. Don't have much experience with bikes - two years ago I restored an old Simson AWO Touren 250cc from 1956, which is pretty simple bike compared to XS.

Here in BG there is no XS650 bikes for sale, so I was forced to search it abroad and bought my XS650 SE '79 3L1 from Germany via e-bay. Previous owner was a german gay who used to travel around Europe and spent 66 000 km with it. Before 11 years he gave up with motorcycles and left the bike in his garage...

My goal is to make a street tracker looking bike, to remove unnecessary weight, and to assemble it as reliable as possible for short weekend ridings. "Paramun" is a name of a mountain.

Please excuse my English ...ask my teacher, I will try to post more pictures.

Any comments or questions would be highly appreciated!

What I had:
1.jpg

And some fragments of what I have done up to now:

- frame:
49.jpg

- Stainless engine mount:
24.jpg

25.jpg

- exhaust pipes modification:
21.jpg

33.jpg

- carbon fenders:
55.jpg

57.jpg

60.jpg

63.jpg

- carbon seat pad:
66.jpg

67.jpg

77.jpg

- carbon electric box:
76.jpg

78.jpg

82.jpg

:)

Hello everybody!

I have been reading forum from some time, decided to start a new thread and this is my first post here. Let me introduce myself - my name is Hristo, 35, I am from Bulgaria - Eastern Europe. Don't have much experience with bikes - two years ago I restored an old Simson AWO Touren 250cc from 1956, which is pretty simple bike compared to XS.

Here in BG there is no XS650 bikes for sale, so I was forced to search it abroad and bought my XS650 SE '79 3L1 from Germany via e-bay. Previous owner was a german gay who used to travel around Europe and spent 66 000 km with it. Before 11 years he gave up with motorcycles and left the bike in his garage...

My goal is to make a street tracker looking bike, to remove unnecessary weight, and to assemble it as reliable as possible for short weekend ridings. "Paramun" is a name of a mountain.

Please excuse my English ...ask my teacher, I will try to post more pictures.

Any comments or questions would be highly appreciated!

What I had:
1.jpg

And some fragments of what I have done up to now:

- frame:
49.jpg

- Stainless engine mount:
24.jpg

25.jpg

- exhaust pipes modification:
21.jpg

33.jpg

- carbon fenders:
55.jpg

57.jpg

60.jpg

63.jpg

- carbon seat pad:
66.jpg

67.jpg

77.jpg

- carbon electric box:
76.jpg

78.jpg

82.jpg

.......................... hi i absolutely luv the stainless steel motor mount its fantastic regards oldbiker

I agree with the previous posts and would like to add that your English is just fine. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Thank you for the feedback!

@ oldbiker - engine mount has pretty simple design. I was inspired from link from here, a gay who produce and sells them. Then I tough how I can make it more easy and without special tolls to assemble. It took me few hours to turn round parts on lathe, and plates were laser cut. All parts were fixed with pressing and whole construction is self adjusting, only the two washers are silver soldered.

28.jpg

Fenders are vacuum moulded, didn't measure rear, but front one weights 300grm/0.660lbs

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Now the whole bike is disassembled into pieces (except engine).
Paint was cleaned with soda and I split parts into three groups:
- metal ones - frame, swingarm, tank, fork holder, side stand... are given for hot zinc cover
- aluminium - rims, fork boots, steering, brakes are for black eloxation
- small metal parts, nuts, footrests, kick/brake/gear levers, etc... - are given for new chrome

Just got the metal parts from hot zinc cover:
86.jpg

Tank is very well sealed - inside and outside. Hope my fuel filter will be clean for a very long time. This tank is not the original one, but I find it much better looking:
87.jpg

Unfortunately at close distance things are not so good. A lot of zinc drops stuck at the parts ends unable to fall off.
88.jpg

At the frame things are even worse, especially on the right side. M10 threads are literally full and some M6 nuts are tapped with zinc.
89.jpg

Now I have to find a way to smooth the surfaces again before powder coat...

This hot zinc is horrible and I made a mistake with it. All threads were full with zinc and decided to clear all parts except fuel tank. Luckily zinc can be quickly removed with HCl acid:

Drops of zinc (black cover) at the yoke bearing place:
92.jpg

93.jpg

After 45 min:
91.jpg

90.jpg

Welcome to the site
Your build is coming along fine.
On the regulator/rectifier, I would make sure to have good air flow across it.
They can get hot

Hey, Carbon, thank you for reading the thread and the advice, I will keep that in mind!
I made thin teflon shims to ensure distance between rectifier and electric box. The rectifier seems to me too big (didn't expected) and took a lot of space from the box.

Again - ZINC :) This time electrochemical and the results are much better. In fact there is nothing in common with hot zinc. The layer is very thin, threads and bearings holes are intact:

94.jpg

And I took the aluminum parts from eloxation/anodization. As they are cast made, the color became MAT even on polished parts as boots:

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

I wonder about color scheme of the bike - rims, brakes are black mat, all bolts, nuts, pegs, levers, etc. are with shiny new chrome...?

Assembled front shock absorbers:
977.jpg

98.jpg

And rear brake pump with new repair kit:
99.jpg

100.jpg

Wheels are ready too, working on speedo drive eliminator...

Hi Paulrxs650, your bobber and cafe builds are very interesting and stylish! I'm not going for Cafe Racer even I found some of them awesome. My wish is to build more comfortable to ride bike with straight body position. Our roads here are not so good and this is my main consideration to put clip-ons away.
Zinc is one of the best metal covers/preparations before powder coating. If I didn't choose powder coat I have to airbrush with epoxy based paint. Electrochemical zinc is not so good for tanks and all closed spaces. Inside they remain uncovered because of the shadow...

Here some pictures of wheels, equipped with new bearings, seals and chromed parts. Probably I will put back the old tyres as long as this build won't be finished soon:

102.jpg

103.jpg

And my sketch of speedo delete:
104.jpg

Some pictures of my progress...

New stainless steel brake pistons:
108.jpg

Brakes with new rebuild kits:
107.jpg

Someone may need this (in mm...):
113.jpg

Do not liked "Pyramid" bearings - very rough finish at rings inside...
109.jpg

Drilled and zink plated brake disks. Drilling took much more time than I expected:
110.jpg

El. box with stainless steel plates and rubber mounts:
111.jpg

Bluesea systems fuse box fited - it's bigger then normal but build quality is very good:

112.jpg

Mockup - with new Hagon shock absorbers. At swingarm, pivot tube was scratched and bronze bushing were damaged. I couldn't find good/new pivot tube so I polished an old one (-0.1mm) and made cylindrical bushings from technical plastic. There is no need for this plastic to be greased and to prevent it from dust, at the ends, I used two seals HONDA 91254-KS7-831 DUST SEAL (22X28X5) - which fits perfectly at swingarm holes:
105.jpg

106.jpg

Any New progress? Would love to know your plans for the seat, Thinking about doing some fiberglass/carbon fiber for a seat myself

Back