Parkerizing help needed

daroberts3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have several steel parts for my build that I want to parkerize or gun blue. These include front fender brace, grips, pegs and seat pan. Hell maybe even the whole frame! Anyone know of a DIY kit for this? Any advice from gun owners on how to do it? Pros/Cons?

Well parkerizing and bluing are two different things. The gun blue would look way better imo. There are two types of bluing, hot and cold. What you get from the factory is a hot blue. It penetrates the metal much better and lasts longer while providing better protection. Cold bluing is usually done for small parts at home when it's not practical to send it off for a hot blue. It's hard to get an even coat and the protection is kind of minimal. I imagine you could hot blue it yourself in an oven, but I honestly don't know enough about it to say how.

Parkerizing requires vats of acid and salts. Not a DIY kinda deal. It is also not rust-proof. get that stuff powder coated instead.

As always this forum has a vast amount of knowledgeable members. Thank you !

hooktool - have you used the sculptnouveau products? They look very interesting. I think that might be what I am looking for.

Years ago I read a book about H-D Knucklehead restorations. In that book they had described a home parkerizing process and that is kind of stuck in my head. I already have lots of powder coat going on as well as anodized bits and also some wood bits planned in the future. Looking to have varying textures and finishes on the finished build. My thought is that on any parts that I will be touching frequently (grips, pegs, seat) that they will not rust or corrode. Think of an antique door knob, it will develop a patina from years of use, often down to bare metal, yet never rust because of frequent use.

Mid Way Arms sells parkerizing kits. I imagine Brownells does to. Just do a goggle search. I think you will find lots of info.
Leo

As always this forum has a vast amount of knowledgeable members. Thank you !

hooktool - have you used the sculptnouveau products? They look very interesting. I think that might be what I am looking for.

Years ago I read a book about H-D Knucklehead restorations. In that book they had described a home parkerizing process and that is kind of stuck in my head. I already have lots of powder coat going on as well as anodized bits and also some wood bits planned in the future. Looking to have varying textures and finishes on the finished build. My thought is that on any parts that I will be touching frequently (grips, pegs, seat) that they will not rust or corrode. Think of an antique door knob, it will develop a patina from years of use, often down to bare metal, yet never rust because of frequent use.

Yes, I use the black magic, and black metal oil. I make woodturning tools-usually I take large batches to be black oxide coated, but sometimes make custom, or just a few of an item, and the black magic looks great on steel. Its cheap enough to try several of their products, and they usually throw in some freebies.

John

Back