Parts resource for claim

Dubya

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Recently got hit by a s.... person. Wanting to create a parts list for my claim. Yall have a recommendation for the best parts sources? Need a tank, maybe a front wheel and full fork assembly, then a bunch of little things.

What year/ model is your ride? Mikes XS, classifieds here, gggg gary's, ebay . sorry to hear of your accident. Are you OK?

Do you give them estimates and then they give you a check? If I did the work myself I'd charge a lot.

Last edited:
Charge them $100 an hour for your labor. Including time spent looking for parts. But be careful they don't total it :) I'd have a lot of questions about the insurance answered before I went very far.

Pics are great help. Good deal your OK. Got any plans for modifying your bike since it's going to be rebuilt?

Holy Cripe! Glad to hear you're okay (enough). Shame about the bike. A friend got rear-ended on the highway (!). The insurance totaled it, and he bought it back from them as salvage. If it was broke, bent, or cracked, he replaced it. The scrapes are the kind of "custom" nobody's shop can reproduce. Granted, it then had a 'salvage' title, but he still came out ahead. But that was him, and it was a late-model bike. Not saying it can't be done.... Best of luck to you.

I think you should call YOUR insurance company and ask how they suggest you handle it. Maybe they would have some good ideas. Maybe there are some additional losses that you could claim, every state is different.

Scott

Recently got hit by a s.... person. Wanting to create a parts list for my claim. Yall have a recommendation for the best parts sources? Need a tank, maybe a front wheel and full fork assembly, then a bunch of little things.

Hi Dubya,
finding parts is easy, getting t'other guy's insurance to pay for them, not so much.
Best I can advise is to ask for a huge injury, stress, trauma, shock and PTSD settlement instead.

They've agreed to pay. Probably going to wind up totalled as far as they're concerned. I'll get to buy it back for cheap but gotta jump through all the hoops. Hopefully be even nicer than it was when it's done.

First off, if you got so much as the smallest scratch or bruise on you, then you were physically injured. Immediately go to a minor emergency clinic and get it documented, NO MATTER HOW MINOR it is. You don't have to lie or exaggerate. You were injured and you are entitled to compensation. The insurance company requires documentation, and that's what the minor emergency clinic provides, as well as treatment if necessary.. Don't worry about the cost of the clinic visit, that will be included in your injury settlement. It doesn't matter what you may have already said or done, there is no time limit for doing this, but obviously the sooner the better. If your forks got bent, then you probably went to a hospital, so personal injury documentation is already covered. If you were injured bad enough to go to a hospital, then you are probably in a depressed state. It is important that you snap out of it and advocate for yourself, and work to get every penny that it will take to make you and your bike whole again.
Hopefully the person who hit you is insured by a big, reputable, legitimate company. They are usually very generous. Some have their own adjusters, but many do not -- this seems to be your case. It is your choice what to replace damaged parts with. Find the most expensive new or used parts that you can. As you find each replacement part, print it out. Don't forget to include any clothing that was damaged, no matter how minor the damage may be -- for sure your gloves got damaged, your helmet probably got scraped, your jacket, pants, etc.
Go to a nice, independent motorcycle shop, hopefully you are friends with one. Go with a notepad, break the repairs down into parts, and ask him how many hours for each part and what his rate is. Then ask ask him for a few of his repair estimate forms. Go home, and fill out the forms with all of the parts costs that you researched and all of the labor costs that your guy told you. Come back to your guy's shop with a case of beer or such, and have him look it over and sign it. Take good pics of all of the damage. Submit it to the insurance company. This is how it is done. It is not fraud. It is not gaming the system. It is 100% legitimate.
I've been through a few of these. In one, my forks were bent, like it sounds yours were. If your forks are bent, then the bike is probably totaled. I did exactly what I wrote above regarding the property part of the claim. It was nice, big reputable insurance company. The repair estimate that I made and that my shop-owner friend signed was 3,000. I was pretty careful to keep it below what I thought "totaled" would be. Well, the insurance company decided it was totaled, and gave me 4,500! That was definitely more than the bike had been worth before the accident, by a lot! Then -- now get this -- the insurance company sold my totaled bike back to me for $50! I had made it very clear from the very beginning that I wanted to keep the bike, no matter what, and the insurance company accommodated me. Best of all, there was no real transfer of ownership ever done -- I never gave my title up, so when I bought the bike back, it was still my same old bike, only damaged, of course, still titled in my name, not a "salvage" title or some such.
I then bought whatever cheapest good parts I could find. I'd say I spent about about 3-400 dollars max for parts. Many parts were better or upgrades to what I had before. I don't remember how much time I spent on the repairs, but it couldn't have been that much, and I was left with a better bike than before the accident and a whole lot of money in my pocket.
The biggest down side is a little fin damage to the cylinder head, and the tiniest scratch on a cylinder fin. Replacing them is what accounted for the biggest part of the repair estimate. Well, the tiny scratch on the cylinder was dressed up and touched-up with black paint (it's an XT500, the cylinders are factory-painted black). And the cylinder head will be replaced whenever the engine next needs to be worked on -- years and years from now.

They've agreed to pay. Probably going to wind up totalled as far as they're concerned. I'll get to buy it back for cheap but gotta jump through all the hoops. Hopefully be even nicer than it was when it's done.
Ha-ha, you posted that while I was typing my post above. Sounds like yours is going to work out just like mine did.
How were your injuries?

Back