Passenger foot peg, exhaust mounting stud on a special is stripped, options?

gettingold2574

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I haven't quite figured out how to operate this site. I'd appreciate some pointers on how to ask a question. Do I have to invite certain people, or just do what I'm doing here?
I do have an XS related question, though; I have buggered up threads on the 12mm footrest mount stud on a Special. Is that stud welded in or can it be turned out with vice grips? I don't want to ruin what threads I have left if it doesn't turn out
Thanks

I haven't quite figured out how to operate this site. I'd appreciate some pointers on how to ask a question. Do I have to invite certain people, or just do what I'm doing here?
I do have an XS related question, though; I have buggered up threads on the 12mm footrest mount stud on a Special. Is that stud welded in or can it be turned out with vice grips? I don't want to ruin what threads I have left if it doesn't turn out
Thanks
This is fine But generally starting a thread with an appropriate title is the best way to get answers and it makes it easier for others with the same question to find those answers later with searches.
The footpeg studs are welded in "real good" so try a thread die or thread file see if that will hold the nut, mebbie add some locktite. If that fails my next step would be rethreading the next available size down and that might be an SAE thread 7/16" fine? Early bikes had a 10mm thread stock. It's the shoulder that takes the stress the thread with washer and nut just keep the peg from falling off.

If you click on the "garage" (or other forum catagory) found at the bottom of each page as you view threads.
2020-10-05-18-42-www.xs650.com.png

it will take you to that forum head and there will be a start new thread button.
2020-10-05-18-48-www.xs650.com.png

Last edited:
This is fine But generally starting a thread with an appropriate title is the best way to get answers and it makes it easier for others with the same question to find those answers later with searches.
The footpeg studs are welded in "real good" so try a thread die or thread file see if that will hold the nut, mebbie add some locktite. If that fails my next step would be rethreading the next available size down and that might be an SAE thread 7/16" fine? Early bikes had a 10mm thread stock. It's the shoulder that takes the stress the thread with washer and nut just keep the peg from falling off.

Thanks for the info. I'm not horribly computer savvy and Bushmill's Irish does fog the mind.
I am referring to the rear passenger peg stud (and exhaust stud), which is a 12mm x 125 thread. I have enough to mount the footpeg, but not enough to mount aftermarket exhaust. It is a dilemma. Don't want to ruin the stud that's left. I used a die to open the threads to accept a nut to hold footpeg, but not enough to mount the exhaust hanger. Found a 12mmx125 thread stud at the local hardware, but am afraid to try to extract stud without knowing what's involved. Might end up with no footpeg or exhaust.
Now, how do I start a thread?

GOOD MORNING! just checking to see if the Bushmills has worn off... :cool:
Pictures really help, especially of the exhaust mounting.
It appears Yamaha used a solid block of steel with the outer end reduced in diameter and threaded then welded that to the frame tube, at least on my 79 special.
footpeg exhaust mount.jpg

So you got a couple of options, easiest, and probably the most practical route, specially cuz you seem to have the tools, would be to cut off the threaded section, drill and tap the block behind it, insert a bolt or stud, back in business. If stud or you cut off a bolt to make a stud, don't run the tap fully through so those threads bind up good when you tighten it into place. (and or red loctite) Note proximity to swingarm behind, this one is a custom arm but I think the clearance even to the stock arm is small, so a bolt from behind doesn't seem like a good idea.
Finally; my bike is on the lift, and it's getting a cleaning today. :redface:

Last edited:
Gary is quite correct - that stud is not really something that you can "extract" as it is welded onto the frame.

So, your options are to either cut off, drill a new hole and thread-in a new stud - OR - weld on something that you can thread to lengthen the stud you have. It sort of depends on your capabilities.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I did use a 12mm - 1.25 thread die to clean up the threads. I had to cut off the first 1/2" of the stud, which left enough stud to mount the footpeg, but not enough to use to mount aftermarket exhaust, also. I have taps and dies, will drill and tap. Found a 12mm/1.25 stud at the hardware. Looks to be the correct length.
And, I'll start a thread with a title in the future. It threw me off when it asks who I want to be included in the discussion. Didn't know how to answer that.

it asks who I want to be included in the discussion.
That's a different forum function, in your inbox you can create private conversions with various members. That's more for personal correspondence; hey what time you want to meet for the ride, what address should I ship these seals to? etc.
See post above pointing to the steps to create a new thread..
Hint; you can experiment in this sub-forum created just for learning how to... and trying out forum functions..
Also This thread has lots of site how to's

Last edited:
Another option is to change to a combination peg/muffler hanger bracket from a Standard. Then you'd only have one item mounting there .....

k1iBJWc.jpg

This is the route I took on my Special, using the hanger bracket from an XS500 .....

XczoR0x.jpg

UXrBwK6.jpg

Back