Paypal question

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
May be selling one of my motorcycles. If I offer the Paypal option how much are they gonna take out? Or besides cash, obviously, what is the best option?

You can look at the fees on paypal.. It will depend upon what kind of account you have and what payment options you will accept. Cash, cashier check, wire transfer, or paypal. I don't think I would do anything else.

hi,,,, i,ve bought and sold a lot of stuff using paypal,,,,,, full payment in you paypal account or you don,t get anything ,,,,works for me,,,,regardss oldbiker:)

Paypal are greedy buggers, to expensive to sell complete bikes on there now, theyll rob you of 10% all in , then theres the fee for withdrawing into your bank account.
I usually wait for a really intrested bidder/buyer to contact me with an off-Ebay cash offer..Works every time :wink2:

I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Do a google search first and read about all the transactions that have gone wrong and how you have a complete lack of recourse to paypal if anything does go wrong.

it takes weeks for a paypal transaction to fully complete so that the cleared funds are in your bank account. At any time Paypal can snatch your money back in full whenever they want to and you'll be left with nothing.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this kind of transaction by paypal ? presumably the buyer is collecting the bike so what is wrong with good old fashioned cash ?

My advice would be to forget paypal. Why not consider something safe like a online Bank transfer ? its instantaneous, gauranteed and cannot be snatched back by the bank .

At least read Paypal terms and conditions before you go that route and leave a minimum of 2x weeks for the money to safly clear before parting with your bike.

My advice i borne of bitter experience when paypal snatched back $1000 from my account . I lost my laptops and my money and paypal didn't even answer my letters or emails .

I have sold alot of parts and bikes on sites and used paypal. Most of the time if you are selling a bike you get the deposit threw paypal and then the balance when customer picks up bike. There they can only bang you on that money and not the complete money transfer. They charge a % of the total sale plus if you use them for transfer of the money they bang you again. In some cases i had to use them for the whole thing because the bike had to be shipped and i never seen the buyer.
So i think its safe to use them and i do myself and had made sales over $10,000 without any problem but i did pay a heavy fee. USA and paypal are 90% safe Overseas useing paypal is about 75% safe there are some countries i will never sell to again because of being beat out of part and money and i can tell you there are some paypal operators that know me by my voice. They do have some weird rule:thumbsup:s but most of the time its all good.

I don't do anything large long distance anyway, but it's typical CC rates for smaller stuff. 3%. All of my sales are less than 100.00 anyway.

Screw PayPal, I just send a message saying I will pay outside of eBay and usually they drop the price a tiny bit since they would have to pay eBay/PayPal fees anyways.

I buy and sell plenty using PayPal, both on and off eBay. I've never had an issue. Fees typical of accepting a credit card. I never ship until payment is cleared (usually within a day, especially if the other party has a PayPal account), and I always use PayPal's own merchant services and invoicing system; this provides a better paper-trail to protect both parties, and doesn't expose any of your own account details.

I totally agree with daddygcycles advice to take a deposit on PayPal, and the cash balance in-person if the buyer is picking-up.

Don't forget that there are plenty of folks (including myself!) who will, for various reasons, only purchase when there is a PayPal option. For me, it's a combination of using funds in my own PP account (from other stuff I've sold), or to use PP's 6-months-no-payment/no-interest deal.

When receiving smaller amounts of cash Paypal takes a full 3%. I use them daily in that capacity. I just received a larger payment of $6852.48 and Paypal took $199.02.

Back