Pea Shooter exhaust redux

KeithB

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just did a search on the British style "pea shooter" exhaust and concern was raised (2nd hand info)that the exhaust prevented the engine from running to full RPM.
There wasn't a follow up post so I would like to know if anyone has installed the system and had any problems.
I do understand the centre stand fitment issue but probably won't have a centre stand anyway.

This is the exhaust in question.
07-0047.jpg

Well, it isn't going to limit your RPMs, but it may reduce horsepower.
That is how I see it but I did want to ask anyone who has actually installed this exhaust what their experience was.
I'm hoping to reduce the "could" and "may" and "possibly" to actual facts.

Um, the silencer shown above isn't what I've always known a peashooter to be. This is:

image.php

As for this type of peashooter, I doubt seriously it would offer any serious impediment to horsepower increase or rpm limitations. They are an open, straight-through design with internal "louvers" and perform well on the 750-850 Norton Commandos. They also sound nice.

cooltouch, you need to shut up now. He only wants posts from people who actually installed his pea-shooters. He doesn't care what you think.

Wow, a douchebag in your 3rd post. Nice.
Well thanks for that enlightening response to the OP.,"Teebs".
I have been on enough sites , like this, where there are lots of opinions with little fact to back it up. I tried to word it politely to indicate that I wanted some info that I could use rather than some guesses. Evidently even the smiley at the "thanks" wasn't enough for you.
So, if you havn't got anything to add to the question, could you please refrain from making personal attacks?
Is that a polite enough way of saying it?

As for the response from "cool", you might be right. I maybe naming the pipes wrong. I thought the pic in your post was the "comando" style but if not, I stand corrected.

So, let me correct my question.
Has anyone used the style of exhaust that is pictured in the 3rd post?

Well, since this is a forum, where most of us come to share thoughts and ideas and a certain amount of social interaction, instead of just facts, you should expect and appreciate a certain amount of opinion rather than coming off as a passive-aggressive douche right from the beginning.

Smileys and "thanks" aside, you were being a tool.

Here is a fact. You are NOT going to reduce RPMs with that muffler. Now are you more enlightened, since you're the one who had to ask in the first place?

So, let me correct my question.
Has anyone used the style of exhaust that is pictured in the 3rd post?

I have not, personally, but I do know a couple of Triumph 650 guys who run them. I usually see them at either a weekly or monthly Brit/Euro bike get-together, and next time I do, I'll ask if they've had any performance issues with them. Hey, the bikes are similar in displacement and performance to the XS, so there may be some crossover.

As for the Peashooters whose pic I posted, actually I can comment directly about them, since my 74 Norton Commando 850 sports a pair. They're OEM for the Commando and in no way inhibit the bike's performance.

Hmmm . . . I would make sure to eliminate the possibility of a pod filter restriction at the carbs. Common problem, usually appearing at 5k+ rpm. This guy may have installed both pod filters and mufflers at the same time.

Yes, Pumps, that's the post I was looking at. The thing is, there could have been other mods that were done at the same time. I can understand the HP change but not the RPM change.
As for the Peashooters whose pic I posted, actually I can comment directly about them, since my 74 Norton Commando 850 sports a pair. They're OEM for the Commando and in no way inhibit the bike's performance.
Thanks for the correction and thanks for the info. I was looking at those "Commando" style as an option as well.
Let me know what the Triumph guys say about the other "Britt" style.

See "teebs", someone does have some info that is useful and doesn't need to resort to name calling. So the next time I need an opinion rather than some facts, I'll let you know so you can type some more bull s**t and send it my way. I don't have enough bulls**t in my life and could always use more:banghead:

Act like a tool, I'll call you a tool.

Since he only confirmed what I told you and I already knew, I guess it wasn't really bullshit now was it, genius? By the way, since cooltouch only has experience with them on his Commando, it isn't factual information completely accurate to the question you asked, now is it?

Since I owned a Bonnie with those pipes, have seen them on a hundred other scoots and I've been around motorcycles my whole life, I'm willing to bet my "opinion" (based on a fuck-ton of experience) is more than slightly valid. But then, coming from someone who had to ask that question, you wouldn't know that would you?

Oh, and please feel free to keep going. your ignorance is more than a little entertaining. I'll let you know when you start to bore me. :thumbsup:

:laugh: rather aggressive this morning teebs, but then nothing changes :shrug:

I don't have an aggressive bone in my body. I'm a bit... obstreperous. Possibly.

I definitely don't take shit from people no matter how big they smile while trying to hand it to me. That's just me though...

I don't have an aggressive bone in my body. I'm a bit... obstreperous. Possibly.

I definitely don't take shit from people no matter how big they smile while trying to hand it to me. That's just me though...
Obstreperous. Nice. I had to look that one up...and I took English 6 times in high school...:doh:

Back