Pesky Electric Starter and Boyer Problems

Panman,

On the picture thing, don't worry about resizing anything, Travis has provided us with that ability to upload any size and he resizes them on this site for you automatically.

Thanks Travis.

thats useful to know........ thanks Brian:thumbsup:
so I wonder what the problem was ?:shrug:

The wires for the clutch over ride is there some where allowing you to start the bike while in gear.If the wires are lose in the harness that would be your problem not starting.The charging,or ignition harness from Mikes will not solve your problem if it's in the hand controls.I used a complete harness from Thunder Heart on my '81 and that replaces every thing except the switch's on your handle bars.The control module in the Thunder Heart harness elliminates all your relay's including the flasher unit.The control module has LED lights that will light and tell you if and where you have a problem should there be a short in the system.

Would that make a difference if the bike is in neutral though? Or maybe if the clutch wires are not connected at all regardless of what gear the bike is in? I'll head back out today and try to hunt for said wires, you're saying they're with the bar control wires?

Also, what was the price on that thunder heart harness? Or could you shoot me the link? Thanks

My method of testing the starter can't hurt the rest of the electrical system. The only place it puts power is to the starter.
As far as rewiring I like this diagram. It shows a basic points diagram with the later combo reg/rec and TCI in boxes. It shows the starter in the upper right. Just swap boxes around to match what you have. Easy to mod for a Pamco. just add it in after the engine stop switch. A PMA just follow the PMA install instruction.
Leo

Okay Leo, I was re reading through the posts and took time to study that diagram and I can follow all of it except the one part I don't understand is if that includes turn signals or not? I see provisions for 4 meter lights?? Which I would think would be the warning lights but besides the neutral one theres only two more? If you could clear that up for me thatd be great.

Ok I'm getting 12.54 to the boyer cool when I hook it up directly to the battery, and the battery has 12.54 volts also, I think I remember reading somewhere that that's a weak voltage for the xs

The system might not know the trans is in neutral,there should be a green wire to the neutral switch behind the cylinders on top of the trans.That green wire connects ground and for a test ground that wire separate from the switch.The clutch over ride switch also connects a ground loop,so you do need to find those 2 wires.I got the Thunder Heart wire harness with control module from J&P cycles for just under 300.00.That may sound a little high but remember it will eliminate all of your old relay's including the flasher.The control module will self diagnose any short you may have and tell you where the short is.I have used this system on a hand full of custom bikes I have built with very good results.Just by the way the pamco ignition system is much easier and simple to install.I hope this helps.

Okay, any idea what color the wires are or what the connector looks like? I was looking at a new factory harness from mikesxs, i think they run around 87 a piece... 300 does sound high especially in my budget right now haha, i ship off to college here in a couple weeks and then will really have no money for the bike haha. I think what I will work on in the next couple days is actually routing the wires and wire everything up that way im not dealing with the problem of not having something hooked up.

Anything on that battery voltage though? Seems a little low...its just hooked up to like a 20 year old charger on a 2 amp charge.

Clutch over ride has a solid black and a black w/yellow stripe.The voltage with stock ignition needed to start I'm not sure but I would think at least 10 volts.It is a lot of money for the Thunder Heart harness w/control module but like I said it replaces all of your old relays.If your old wire harness has been modified or has old repairs you could chase problems for ever.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get a new harness I think, probably gonna save me trouble down the road. And is there a way I could bypass the clutch safety switch? Temporarily?

I believe if you are able to find the black and the black w/yellow stripe wires you could connect them together.You should use a power probe or ohm meter to make sure the wires you are connecting are ground.Another thing about the Thunder Heart system you will get a wiring diagram and wrote out directions.I will add a pic of what the module looks like installed.This module will eliminate all of your old relay's and flasher,no more worries about old electronics or where wires go.The 2" wide box on the bottom is the module coils aft all under the tank never to be seen again!!

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 115
Yes the clutch over ride switch connects a loop,so if you find the black and black w/yellow stripe twist them together.Dont forget the neutral switch on top of the trans behind the cylinders,green wire should be there also a ground connection.

I can't find it in the bundle of wires coming from that side! Could I be possible mine doesn't have it? It's an 81 according to the title, the vins match up

My '81 has the clutch over ride switch,yours could have been removed for what ever reason before you got it.If you have the original clutch lever you should see 2 wires coming out of the clamp between the cable and the handle bars.If you dont see where the wires come out,the clamp has been changed and hopefully the wires have taken care of.did you make sure the green wire for neutral switch is grounded?

are you sure about a green wire ?
All my schematics on late bikes show a light blue wire (sb) to the neutral switch? The switch being the ground of course for the starter safety relay coil.

In the diagram I posted the bulbs marked meter lights are the bulbs that illuminate the speedo and tach so you can see them at night.
All years the neutral light was a sky blue wire On the later bikes this also hooked into the safety systems for the starter cut relay as well as the side stand relay.
These systems were designed so stupid people could ride a bike. Don't want people trying to start the bike without pulling in the clutch or riding with the side stand down.
Leo

I Don't want people trying to start the bike without pulling in the clutch or riding with the side stand down.
Leo

its a bit like the warning labels on foodstuff. Bags of nuts with a label saying 'warning this may contain nuts ' :laugh:

Maybe people really are that stupid now ? if so why are cars not fitted with similar safety features :confused:

I could've sworn the wire coming from my neutral safety switch was green... Hmmm.. Looks like I got some sleuthing to do after work!

Cars do have safety devices. Can you start your car in anyplace other than park or neutral? does it have seat belts, air bags, a bunch of lights on the dash to tell you your fuel is low, a door open, your engine low on oil pressure, high on temp/ A check engine light?
All things to let stupid people drive.
Leo

So I checked my neutral safety switch wire and I swear that thing is green. unless it started off as blue and turned a green color?? Anyways a new harness for the 81 is on the way courtesy of mikesxs along with my new clutch perch (with safety switch hole) and clutch lever. Hopefully this, with a very thorough cleaning of all the ground will clear up all issues if not... well I will be one unhappy camper that is for sure.

If shes not up and going before the end of this years season I was thinking about taking the project in an entirely different direction and hard tailing it maybe, just bouncin ideas around

Until next time, same bat time, same bat channel.

Back