Petcock fiber washer leak

I noticed the casting from Mike's crappy petcock, so I sanded it with 1k. I think that might have been part of it too.

I had vacuum petcock so I went to a regular gravity

Hi guys, new to the XS myself and just got it back from the shop from a rebuild. The left side petcock leaks out from what looks like behind the lever area when I turn it. But only if I turn it. If left in the off, on or reserve it doesn't leak, just when you go to use it. Is it safe to just leave in the on position when not running? Also, pictures would help I would like to address this issue. I will find out from the shop what kind of petcock it is not sure if its stock or MikesXS.

Art

Whether the petcock is vacuum operated or not it is advisable to always turn the petrol off when you park the bike. I know of many incidents when friends, family and myself have pulled up and put the bike on the side stand only to return later to find petrol spilling from the carburetor. If the motor isn't running then I always switch the fuel off if unattended.

Edit: Did I actually write this?? I realize vacuum petcocks cannot be turned off. I was thinking of mine which I modified so that it has an off position. It required some lathe work. I can post more details if requested.

Last edited:
Never leave the petcock on , when the engine is shut down. Nasty things can happen, such as gasoline all over the garage floor, and perhaps the engine's oil sump filling up with gasoline.
Repair or replace the petcock.

I had some time so I installed ace hardware fiber washers.. I think we are good to go.

7/32-7/16, press fit on, 37 cents + tax.

Really want to install everything dry because I'm weird like that.

I had some time so I installed ace hardware fiber washers.. I think we are good to go.

7/32-7/16, press fit on, 37 cents + tax.

Really want to install everything dry because I'm weird like that.
I'm interested in your success with these fiber washers.
...and do you have a pic of them?

So far still good! Outlasting other options so far (mikexs new and copper)

Attachments

• 20171102_180805.jpg
    20171102_180805.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 251
Hi guys, new to the XS myself and just got it back from the shop from a rebuild. The left side petcock leaks out from what looks like behind the lever area when I turn it. But only if I turn it. If left in the off, on or reserve it doesn't leak, just when you go to use it. Is it safe to just leave in the on position when not running? Also, pictures would help I would like to address this issue. I will find out from the shop what kind of petcock it is not sure if its stock or MikesXS.

Art
On several years (Hmm, 78 on?) the petcock has an exit elbow back there that is kinda press fit, glued into the body. The glue is usually toast, I've had good results by removing, cleaning out the little groove and epoxying it back in place. In my experience the ONLY replacement black rubber 4 hole gasket (yamaha calls it a valve) that works is the genuine part, none of the aftermarket kit valves are worth a damn.

Yamadude I used that washer with success.The ID is slightly small for the 6 mm screws and the washer is a tough lil bugger that is difficult to ream with a drill bit. My solution was to cut the ID with a 6 mm tap.

3DEF0A73-FBF3-4255-99E2-F749B0EBF09D.jpeg 5A25DE17-25A2-4EFC-B7A4-273045179245.jpeg 8375D555-51C4-4CCA-A234-0C11631D2538.jpeg
This is a good thread that helped me with my leaky fiber washers. Hopefully. Thanks. The ones I got with my new petcock are crap. I’m trying Gary’s advice and re-useing my old rubber sealing washers from my vacuum petcock. Take a look at the pics. The brand new fiber washers from mikes are basically disintegrating. I’ve had them on for 2 months with a grand total of 25km run time :( I hope the old ones work better. Pic 2 is new and old washers side by side. And I’m also trying to secure the white filters with some wire.

Attachments

• 2C1286A8-C283-427D-82AE-8E9BD8BF0D8F.jpeg
    2C1286A8-C283-427D-82AE-8E9BD8BF0D8F.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I ditched my white filters because my tank was treated and is really clean inside (plus with how sealing this petcock is going, I don't want to ever remove it haha)
I'm running a 1/4" billet fuel filter I got from one of the cafe sites (maybe cognito moto?)

Guss the manual petcocks from Mikes used to have a brass screen inside under the outlet fitting. BUT it is a piece of screen just rolled up. If you can solder the side seam and end it would do a better job. If I was home I would post pics. I'm 30 hrs. and 1400 miles into a NM turn around. RG fixed his also IIRC.

Last edited:
G'day Mike,

How is that new 1200 treating you??

Do you still miss the XS??
Hey Geeddubya, all g, miss the forum and friends I’ve made over the two years I was on here, I’ll start a thread in the lounge “Missing persons” or something like that and let you know what I’ve been doing mechanically to make the bike better...experiences etc...so not to corrupt this thread...

Welcome back Mick - when it breaks down let us know and we'll give ya a hand.
;)

Actually, one of my local buddies here in Windsor told me just yesterday and he is getting too frail to kick his Nortons and so he is going to sell all his vintage Brit-bikes and get a T-120 just like yours. He figures it will still feel like a big twin, but it wont hurt him every time he want to ride it.

Pete

Back