Pie-Cut / Segmented Exhaust Experiment...

cleoncleon

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ello, fellas...
Decided to try and tackle this one.

About 52 Cuts / Deburrs later, we have a finished exhaust.
Up high, 2 - 2...

Just finished it tonight.
Generally it took about 8 - 12 hours to complete at my level.

Just recently I purchased a little MIG-gy, so..
I've been hastily doing all the shit that a beginner shouldn't be doing.. hah

Check the full history on the Blogspot: WRONGCITIZEN.BLOGSPOT.COM

Materials cost me $3.76 total.
Needed (2) Two Foot lengths of straight Cold Rolled - 0.068 Tubing form the local metal supply..

Cuts_zps6de53ec1.jpg

Went there initially looking for bends.. Theyre just too damn hard to find in the right price. The best prices were online from Jegs, Columbia Steel, etc.. And even at that, too much. . As well as time costly, needeing to wait. Im very impacitence when it comes to waiting for parts.. So, I try to do as much as possible on my own.

$3.76 vs $82.00 ish.. I'll do it.

The Cuts acutally seemed easier to assemble, in my head, than mandrel bends.. Its very very easy to change the direction/ curvature of a given bend. Just rotate / flip the cuts as needed.

Each cut was about 11.25 - 15 degrees. Much of which... well, most. Was just mocked up and cut, by eye. You really dont need to be THAT accurate with em.. Alot less stressful.

IMG_6648_zps76142f7a.jpg

IMG_6649_zpsc80457f6.jpg

Fun thing with em is you can really just try anything.. fiddle here and there, the cuts will grant you more skilled builders out there with a huge canvas for creative exhaust routing..

The High pipes I documented on my blog, but Im headway in a 2 into 1 system as of now, so, I'll put my process on here for that set. All built, including the collector.. Collector will be the easy part i think.. fitment will be a slight more challenge on this one.. Biggest challenge on the first set was keeping the end straight peices straight, but as you can see, a jack and leather glove solved all that mess...

IMG_6651_zpsc73a2edb.jpg

IMG_6654_zps80795352.jpg

IMG_6658_zpsa45e6637.jpg

IMG_6655_zps0c8e7a50.jpg

Hopefully this all makes sense.. lol Im rushing out the door..
Brew is calling my name.. the Bar needs me, NOW. :laugh:

Stay tuned..
Peep out the blog from time to time.
Ive been accutally keeping up with it, of late.. :D

WRONGCITIZEN.BLOGSPOT.COM

I will say.. If anyone needs to learn to tack weld.. This sure as hell is a damn start...

This video made the collector idea possible..
so simple.
I'll make a splayed collector.. The one in the video here is a parrallel.

Haha, got that covered.. Only needed one sanding disk for the current set and well as the next.
Deburring and all..
There is alot less sanding than I guess one could assume.
The remainder of the pipe will be TIG'd by a buddy, so, Im not worrying much there..
Im not actually panning on wrapping these. I may have just got mandrel bends if I was to do that.

Sanding the tacks are a must, but, you wont need a warehouse of discs for that.

Last edited:
Back