pilot jet issues on xs650 bs34 carbs

The left is the pilot jet I pulled out of the carbs look a lot like vm22/210
Thr right are the jets from mikes look like bs30/96 which should be in my carbs.
These are my bs34's

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMAG0350-1.jpg
    IMAG0350-1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 242
BS34s with BS38 tops. (that is no problem they interchange)
I would agree the type on the right should be correct for your carb IE the orifice is at the end with the taper.

How can you tell they have bs38 tops the bike runs with both styles in it but better with the ones I pulled out of it. Idk... Well I did have 145 mains in it with the 45 pj. Maybe to rich, I put the first jets in with 135 mains. It runs pretty good expect i think it runs hot. I might just get rid of tye needles I bought. Except I drilled out the vacuum port on the slides....:doh: I do have some extra slides but they look like garbage!

Posted via Mobile

BS34 tops are chrome steel.
Foot pulls slowly out of mouth,
Uhh chrome steel just like the ones in the pic Duh oh.

Oh your talkin about my carbs I thought you where referring to my pilot jets. Lol I'm going to try 45 pjs with 135 mains do you think the pilots might be to large.

Posted via Mobile

Sorry I have not done any jetting, so far the XS650s I have running are stockers 5T is the wiz on tuning. Hopefully I will be tweeking tracker carbs by spring.

Are your 650s stock airbox and exhuast? Ggggaary was right tho on the pods. I say where theywhere restricting airflow. I replace them with the foam pods and my top end came back. Before it was good till half throttle then it would fall on its face.

42.5. Pilots
135 main
The needle set in the middle.
Mix screw 2 turns

45 pilot
145 main
Needle set in middle
3 turns on the screw

Your mix screw setting maybe lean for the stock PJ.
If you go up(larger) on the PJ the mix screw the mix screw would be leaned.
Say 2 turns off botttom instead of three.

So I guess there is some mixed opinions about the dyno needle and jet kit from mikes xs! And anyone tell me the pros and cons ,getting ready to do mine! 81 650 special,2-1 open exhaust ,modified air box using xs Johns mod,47.5 Pilot will go down to 45, 132.5 main will go up to 135,which needles should I use the stock or the mike xs with the 45 pilot and the 135 main? Thanks for any suggestions and reply’s!

I don't think I'd bother with that Heiden needle kit. It was designed for use on a 750 big bore and with Heiden's own 2-1 exhaust. Using it on any other configuration of a 650 has given mixed results. I would start out with the stock needles. Many times they work just fine. They did come set up lean from the factory but when you add larger mains and pilots, they bleed over into the midrange and make it richer. That can "fix" the lean needles for you. Normally, on the earlier carb sets with adjustable needles, you need to lean the needle setting as you increase the main and pilot sizes because of that bleed-over I mentioned. On the BS34, many times that bleed-over just makes the midrange right.

If you can't get it tuned and feel adjustable needles may help, I would try this kit from cruzinimage. You get not one, but two different adjustable needles you can play with. One kit does 2 carbs .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-81-Yama...CCR-/142315702783?vxp=mtr&hash=item2122ad49ff

Thanks 5twins,that’s exactly the answer I was looking for! As always I get the best advice here!will let you know my results! And deff will get those needles just to have around!

Back