Piston caliper removal tool

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently rebuilding my front caliper and I would like to know how to remove the pistons. I know that MikeXS sell a tool for that but the description tells that it works for 77-84 XS only. My bike is a 72. Does someone have a tip for that ?

I never used any special tool for caliper piston removal, I just blow them out with compressed air. Nothing holds them in like a snap ring or anything. It's just a friction fit between the piston seal and the bore in the caliper. Your early style caliper has 2 pistons that move and need to be removed, one in each caliper half. Once one side comes out, you'll need to block the cross feed hole between the caliper halves and blow air into the side that still has the piston in place. I use a small piece of sheet metal placed over the cross feed hole and then bolt the 2 caliper halves back together with it trapped in between them.

Thanks. I tried with air but pistons were stuck. I've finally been able to move them using the master cylinder and the old hoses to move pistons with hydraulic fluid. It worked but I didn't retry with air. I will try it tonight or tomorrow.

Once you get them moving, the air should work. Not as messy as fluid or grease when a piston finally pops out. You'll probably need to work them in and out before they'll come all the way out. I use the air until they stop moving out, then press them back in with a large C clamp, hit them with the air again, etc. Eventually, they'll work their way all the way out.

The quickest sure-fire guaranteed way to pop the brake pistons is totally easy! I just push my old lever style grease gun down on the bleeder, crack it open and pump. It wastes a bit of grease, but I've never used the air method successfully.

Hello.

If you´re not succesfull with air, either the air is leaking somewhere or the piston is stuck. If it´s stuck the caliper may be a subject for renovation.

What ever you do.......DON´T use your fingers to block of the air. Thrust me, you´ll have numb finger for a few days.

/BigBoreSwede

I have new pistons and an o-ring kit to rebuild it. If air don't work, I will try with the grease gun. Thank for the tips guys !

I just used the air method. I tore some small pieces of cardboard and placed that and a rag in front of the piston to catch it as it comes out, I had one which had a lot of corrosion on it, sprayed it for a couple of days with some liquid wrench to disolve the rust. Came right out. Replacing with stainless steel pistons.

I just hang the caliper in a bucket and pump the brake lever ... the mess is contained and you also get rid of all the old brake fluid.

If you use air, be SURE not to let a co-worker distract you and unwittingly shift your grip to what I might call a less favorable position. That piston is not forgiving.
IMG_0019.jpg

Finally, I succeed and my caliper is completely rebuild with new o-rings and new pistons. I was able to remove one piston with my master cylinder (with hydraulic pressure, liek regular use of it :)) this morning. The other piston took more time, using air. It was moving just a litlle bit, so I heated the piston and retry with air and it finally comes out. I think it was stuck against the o-rings. Thanks for your help.

trx4xman: I use DOT3 brake fluid, I'm sure that it's what I saw in my Hayne's book but you make me doubt, I will check tomorrow.

72xs2, DOT 3 is fine to use. you can use DOT 4 but it is not required .... just don't use anything petroleum based (oil P/S fluid Hydraulic oil etc) The petrol based products will destroy the rubber in your master cylinder, hose, and caliper and you will have to do it all over again.

72xs2, DOT 3 is fine to use. you can use DOT 4 but it is not required .... just don't use anything petroleum based (oil P/S fluid Hydraulic oil etc) The petrol based products will destroy the rubber in your master cylinder, hose, and caliper and you will have to do it all over again.

I'm happy to know that DOT3 is fine, my o-ring will be ok and I won't have to order new kits and do it again. Thanks ! :D

Has anyone tried DOT 5 fluid? I've heard that it does not absorb moisture. Is it safe for these older systems? I believe it is silone based.

Back