Piston ring issues (installing piston into cylinder)

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
first time ever installing pistons into cylinder. I can get my top and middle rings in... my oil rings are another problem. They don't seem to want to go in and the one time i got them in slightly it felt like I was about tear up my bore so i did not proceed to try and push them in. They seem to not want to compress. I installed the expander ring first then bottom and top rails. Do I need a ring compressor or am I possibly installing them improperly on the piston. They look identical in size to my stock rings that were in there so I believe my method is off.
Any advice on what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Are you installing new stock size rings in a used bore or 1st oversize filed to fit? If 1st oversize then you will need to re-use the stock expander for the oil rail rings. The 1st oversize one is too big.

I just ordered stock sized rings. I opted not to to do the oversize and file method.

Should it be easy to compress oil rings without a ring compressor? I may buy one at harbor freight tomorrow and see if it helps... I really think I have them installed correctly.

Are the rings and cylinder well oiled?

For a first-timer, easy is not.
Subtle techniques, how you hold yer tongue.
Some folks use sharpened popsicle sticks, to help compress the ring past the cylinder bevel. Others can use their industrial strength fingernails.
And, yes, a bit of cringing is normal.

Otherwise, a ring compressor is the way to go...

I got the pistons in with my fingers, (of course after spending $8 on a ring compressor) but they seem a bit tight. I would describe it as having to push hard to get em to slide up and down and I cant push them as smoothly as they would ride in the engine because of how much effort is required to push. Idk if that is normal.

How tight should they feel? Should they go up and down easy or should it require a little effort to move them?

For thoroughness, i checked my gaps again. All are within spec. The only one I don’t know about would be the expander ring. They looked comparable to the old ones in size but have more forcefulness to them from being new. I guess they are probably fine, they probably do just need a break in period to loosen up like what XSLeo said. Fingers crossed that I don’t run into trouble from this. They still seem tight, but the measurements are telling me they are fine. Its got to just be the tension from the new expander ring.

Back